Thread: Sheriff Joe
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 12:47 AM   #37
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
I don't understand how it is that if Arpaio is pulling over minorities for spurious reasons, that he'd come after you when he's "done", isn't a slippery slope.
Slippery-Slope

Specifically:
Quote:
This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because there is no reason to believe that one event must inevitably follow from another without an argument for such a claim.
Emphasis added.

The fact that he has already demonstrated a willingness to employ questionable tactics to infringe on some individuals constitutes as an argument that he is capable of doing so for others.

Or more simply: If you have a co-worker that walks around punching people in the eye, it isn't a slippery-slope to posit that one day he might walk up and give you a shiner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
Well, then I guess I'll modify my prior statement to that: We should just step up immigration enforcement in general so that none get through. My apologies.
Thanks for clarifying, however this isn't very helpful. I'm quite positive that I've heard Sheriff Joe argue that he is doing precisely that right now, yet here we are having the debate. Did you have something more specific in mind?
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,