Thread: Sheriff Joe
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2009, 05:35 AM   #46
True_Avery
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
They know they are in another country. It's contempt.
So? Its contempt to burn a flag, but that's legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity
Funny thing is you were so quick to get on it when someone showed the least bit of disapproval for the president with a sign (which too is expression). Nice ad hominem to the vet, BTW.
You'll have to direct me to that post, as I don't remember going up to someone's poster and ripping it in half because I disagreed with it.

Destroying another's property is also illegal, good sir. He's still a douche for doing it regardless if he's a vet or not. If he had a problem, he should have called the police or something instead of being a vigilante.

Quote:
It's in contempt of the symbol of the country's sovereignty. I rather suspect you'd also take their side in their own country if one of ours did the same thing.
Its a flag. A representation of a country. Why should it be a huge deal if someone decides to post a flag?

If you wanna go down to Mexico, or go over to France and fly the American flag be my guest.

Quote:
Nice to see your standards allow us to be 'walked on'.
My standard are that they should be allowed to express their beliefs and opinions as long as they are not harming anyone.

The ones being walked on in this situation are the ones who express themselves by posting a flag, and are then arrested. That seems more like freedoms being walked on in my opinion.

Quote:
You fought for your country, possibly took a debilitating injury for it. You see its glory being stepped on by a business who feels it is their land and not all of our land. Contempt.
They fought for freedoms within the country.

How is it possible that you have the right to say "Mexico rules!" in America, or "Texas should break from the US", and even burn a flag, but when you post a flag higher than another you've suddenly crossed the line?

Outdated hypocrisy. He fought to uphold freedoms and he, and apparently the law now, are quashing that by disallowing this.

Quote:
I dare you to say all of that to an American legion full of vets during one of their meetings. Not worth your time? Not worth tolerating the blatant contempt, either.
What? Tell them that posting a flag higher than ours is disrespectful, but that taking away the freedom to do so is an appalling, arrogant thing to do?

Sure. Know any vets? I'll talk with my grandfather next time I meet him if you'd like.

The law is an outdated joke. Not the concept; the law.

Quote:
Seems like to you everyone BUT the USA is allowed to be proud of displaying their soverignty. If USA does it, we're automatically arrogant
As I said above, I give you permission to fly the American flag in any other country with freedoms for the same reason I think that Mexican man should have the right to post his flag.

But yes, regardless of legality, area, country, etc it is still an arrogant thing to do. Thing is, you have the right to be arrogant in America.

Or, so I thought.

Quote:
What the ****?
Yes, those would be my feelings on this law.

My problem is that it is a LAW. The symbolism, your anger, and other such things I can understand. What I do not understand is why this is still a law and something that can be punished.

Quote:
Don't even try to tell me "but it was formed with blood on our hands" as justification--you won't find any nation in the world that wasn't formed that way.
What?
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,