View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 02:49 AM   #64
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
I asked you some questions and you just declared 'mission accomplished.'
You are inferring things here... perhaps I answered that poster in that manner for other reasons. Limited time, etc.

Since you asked clear questions without the wall of unnecessary text this time, it makes it easier to read them, I am more than happy to answer what I can.

Quote:
Questions were:

How much was the fuel from this one station?
Nothing, it is free to us at this point... SMUD has a fleet of these vehicles and so does the partnership. We have free use atm.

Cost hasn't come into play yet, but rest assured it would be far less than filling your average 14 gallon tank is now.

Quote:
What was the milage per gallon of hydrogen?
None, it is measured in different units of measure. Typically the current model of HFC vehicles that I am familiar with hold about 4kg of hydrogen at 5000 psi. Tanks are rated to twice that pressure.

4 kg of Hydrogen at 5000 psi gives you about 160 miles range, if the pressure were increased the range would increase. The vehicle with a fully pressurized tank went much, much further, but for insurance reasons we can only pressurize our tanks to 5k psi.

Quote:
How many vehicles can this one station with the non-emissive power source provide for?
It is a full sized station in relation to a normal gas station in use today. I have yet to go in and have an out of fuel warning, nor has anyone in the program so far.

Quote:
How much were the solar panels that powered that station?
No idea SMUD never released this info. Since SMUD is a power company and likely gets them for cheap or makes them themselves the cost was likely negligible to them.

Here in California there is a 45% rebate on using a solar system, there are I think 30% federal rebates nationwide (USA), so factor those in when thinking about the costs for solar panels. I'm sure other countries also provide similar incentives.

Quote:
How much energy was lost in the hydrolysis process?
No idea, as SMUD hasn't released this info. But any energy loss at this station outweighs the sloppy and inefficient systems we use today.

Quote:
and how much did you get from the fuel cell(s) on your vehicle?
Answered by the MPG question above.

Quote:
This is not meant to slap this particular member in the face; I just wanted to know more about hydrogen power from his perspective.
No slap seen on this end, though you seemed to go on about energy loss and transportation, etc. when the solutions I have seen eliminate the most wasteful parts of what we have now. So any loss with the new tech is minimal compared to what we have now.

Quote:
His last post didn't add to the thread, as I already knew his opinion. The question is why?
On the contrary mine indeed did, as it appears on my end you didn't get anything I had wrote and went off on a tangent of your own, I merely pointed out the poster who got what I wrote in the hopes you would re-read what I had said again.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by RedHawke; 05-03-2009 at 02:57 AM.
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,