View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 02:13 AM   #49
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Well, you can add some stuff to your cart, enter the zip code of where you're shipping it to, proceed to checkout, enter both the billing and the shipping address (billing=CA; shipping=NV) and see if you get charged any tax.

And I'm asking around about your question about having RAM in all six slots slowing down the computer. Core i7 and X58's pretty new, so I don't know as much about it as I do about the previous generation, but in my experience with older machines filling up your board doesn't make any difference at stock speeds. It will effect an overclock, however, because 4 sticks require more power from the memory controller, so in order to maintain stability you have to bump the northbridge and RAM voltage with 4 sticks.

I can't think that it's much different with 6 sticks, except that Core i7 has a built-in memory controller (like AMD CPUs have had since the Athlon64). My guess is that with 6 sticks either people are encountering instability or Vista64's SuperFetch feature is going crazy trying to fill up all of that available RAM. Either one would slow the computer down.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker

Last edited by Q; 05-08-2009 at 02:56 AM.
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,