View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 07:49 AM   #74
Darth_Yuthura
Banned

Current Game: KOTOR III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerman View Post
If this is in regards to the split-cycle engine thing, that actually looks to have some serious development time put into it, and may actually happen. It's interesting enough that it's getting talked about quite frequently here....it just needs to be cost effective and make good on its claims. Neither have been met yet.
And how exactly has hydrogen done any better?

Quote:
First, hydrogen as a fuel cell source is decades in the future for a nationally viable infrastructure. I am fully aware of the Honda FCX and such, but there is no infrastructure to make them accepted, and they cost far too much. We need a dual-fuel, a "flex fuel" if you will, hydrogen and gasoline vehicle to create the demand for the infrastructure (i.e. BMW's Hydrogen 7). Only then will fuel cells take off.
What, do you mean a vehicle with an internal combustion engine and a fuel cell? It's not viable and won't come about if hydrogen is more economic than gasoline. Only when/if it does will hydrogen start to take over and leave gasoline behind.

Quote:
There are more emissions than you know of, both of fuel cell car, network, gasoline car, and fueling. If you want to be completely correct, look at the wheel to wheel cost of emissions. It's higher than you think.
And why would you suggest increasing an already high rate of emissions?

Quote:
Furthermore, you will be astonished to learn the efficiency of a modern coal power plant.

Ready?

it hovers between 38 and 45% efficient, at best. That goes for any plant that uses steam and turbines; Nuclear, coal, etc all are the same for thermodynamic efficiencies.
I wasn't astonished, for I was already aware of that. What you claimed is not accurate, however. The efficiency of coal depends upon the type of coal you use. Lignite is among the worst forms of coal to burn, but sometimes it is favored over bituminous because of the presence of other elements (mercury, lead, arsenic, ext.) Bituminous coal is much more cost effective and very abundant, which is why it is used so greatly in the US. Anthracite is the best grade and the 'cleanest' burning coal there is, but it is much more scarce and difficult to mine.

Although I do value the environmental impact being minimized, I really weigh the economic viability most heavily. Nuclear is the more economic and environmentally friendly energy source. The limitation of nuclear is that it has a huge capital cost before it can produce electricity, but a lower operating cost.

Quote:
I think there are serious flaws in your sources or your influences. Much of your post makes no sense whatsoever. I welcome a change to hydrogen, and am hoping the duel fuel hydrogen cars (aformentioned Hydrogen 7) make a large inroad into the market to spur demand for hydrogen internal combustion cars and thus create the infrastructure necessary to eventually transfer over to fuel cells.
The US has 25% of the world's coal reserves. That energy provides the majority of the electricity used in the US, but how much of the transportation infrastructure is powered by coal? Except for light rail, subways, electric cars, and hydrogen cars; nothing else uses coal energy.

Electricity is a means of transmission and can be generated by ANY source of energy you can produce from a power plant. The biggest problem with electricity is that anything depending on it can't function without a link to a power grid. Batteries can only store so much, but take a long time to recharge. Excess electricity from the power grid can't be stored and is wasted, but if that electricity were to be used in ANY way that was beneficial, it would be significant.

Hydrogen is like that to a degree, but can recharge faster and has a range similar to a gasoline-powered car. Problem is that it takes more energy to produce than is returned, not part of the transportation infrastructure, expensive, and many other issues.

Last edited by Darth_Yuthura; 05-09-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Darth_Yuthura is offline   you may: quote & reply,