View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #74
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DE
This will sound harsh, but I divide people into two - those who accept we're causing, or at the very least fuelling, global warming, and those who do not understand the subject. Pardon me, but there seems to be a lot of irrational thinking on the side of the deniers.
Hence "stupid". Not a strawman as you try to contend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobahn Eagle View Post
So when scientists agreeing with AGW are hypothetically funded by interest organizations (which ones, by the way?), then it's a sign AGW is false, but when anti-AGW scientists are caught being funded by the petroleum industry it's "not necessarily malfesance". Ok.
I think that it's your absolute credulity about the integrity of "science" that's in question. You fail to show that the man's connection to ExxonMobil has remotely influenced (beyond the typical innuendo) his conclusions, but then dismiss all the "fraudulent" activity on behalf of AGW as aberrations. Funny thing in Lindzen's case is that you agree that he has credibility....but then bitch about his conclusions about the climate surrounding AGW research.

Quote:
What with 9/11 and the financial crisis, not to mention that many of them believe they live in areas that won't be affected, of course it isn't.
Yeah, guess it couldn't be that people just don't believe you haven't proven the AGW case. Oh wait, your quote above....guess their just "stupid"

Quote:
Again with the Creationist arguments - "I have a petition in which {arbitrary number here} scientists express their disbelief in evolution!". Then you actually go into the list and lo and behold, every one of them either has a degree from a diploma mill or in an irrelevant field.
More innuendo and name calling. Very logical and credible arguments. Are you confusing your obsession about creationism w/AGW opposition?

Quote:
Of course I can't. I'm not going to trawl through 3000 names and do a thorough investigation of every single one to see if they really exist, have attended the university they claim they've attended, and gotten the degree they claim they possess. I'm not going to search university records to see who's earned what or investigate the individual universities to see which ones are diploma mills or otherwise untrustworthy. All this you know, which is why you compile and/or post such gargantuan lists in the first place. Publishing huge reports or epic lists of names for then to slam the opposition when they don't quit their jobs and lock themselves in their basements to spend a month of full-time work to debunk it is a common strategy of people peddling alternative medicine, Creationism, and now AGW denial. Same soup, new bowl.
Must be nice to believe that you can try to marginalize people w/o having to prove anything.

Quote:
Let's recap here: You guys claim that everyone who disagrees with you are bribed by some invisible NWO-style entity. You then put forward a scientist who actually is funded by an interest organization. When I point this out, you not only shake your head and ask me what it matters who does the funding, but also tell me I am the one to say the opposition is part of a massive bribery scheme. Projecting much?
I think you protest to loudly and too much. Lindzen is accepted by "your" side of the argument. Skin included him 2x in his references and you claimed above that his position wasn't anti-AGW. But b/c you don't like his conclusions about the process, all of a sudden he is persona non grata. So, frankly, your claim of projection is thoroughly laughable.

Quote:
I pointed out that Lindzen was funded by an oil company, not that "all those people" are. Unless Lindzen is impersonating all of them, of course.
I never quoted YOU as making that specific claim. Pointed out that using the "logic" of many on your side of the argument that most of these people opposed to AGW either had to be on the boards or payrolls of such companies. That's a lot of people to have to support.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,