View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #193
Silveredge9
Retired Modder

Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daos300 View Post
spoiler:
Nice to have that awesome sword now though. Who modeled that thing?
Show spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoarch View Post
[hidden]i got no other choice but to start a new game and begin again the mod because i can't get past that bug.[/ hidden]
What method of installation have you used? TSLPatcher or manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by l33tleboy View Post
My only beef with the mod is NPC (and, to a lesser extent, some battles) design. I wish mods weren't designed assuming that the player is a compulsive grinding powermonger... because that means those of us who aren't are in for a rough ride. I don't have a problem with difficult games, but cheap shortcuts to increase that difficulty are no fun, and it gets worse when stuff isn't even consistent in-game. For instance:

spoiler:
I can understand that Force choking the incorporeal form of Akirakon Sin is a pretty stupid thing to try, so he's given insane FORT saves. Okay, that makes sense. But why does Mandalore the Ultimate have +13/+10/+13 on top of his standard class saves and on top of the JEDI SENTINEL state immunity effects? If each +1 is an additional 5% chance to save, +13 is +65% (!), again, unexplained, unwarranted, and on top of already unfair immunities... making using the Force against him a waste of time. Unless, that is, you somehow manage to get your WIS to ~40, to offset his bonuses. For comparison, vanilla Malak has similar bonuses to his saves... but he's supposed to be drawing on the power of an ancient Dark Side artifact. Speaking of which, it's odd to find that the Mandalorian Wars version of Malak is murder incarnate... even when compared to his Dark Lord of the Sith self.

All in all, I think perspective was lost when building NPC character sheets, what with everyone and their dog being level 20 behemoths of destruction boasting ridiculous saves, defense scores, FP totals, etc. This is still supposed to be a d20-based system, isn't it? Han Solo, Obi-Wan, Vader and other "big" characters aren't level 20 characters. Artificially raising the power level of, well, pretty much everyone to "provide a challenge" results in a state of affairs where power means nothing and tactics are pretty much reduced to spamming stims and life support packs... of which there's an overabundance, which in turn nullifies the intended "challenge"! I don't know about you guys, but I don't remember Obi-Wan and Anakin making pauses in their duel to dope up, and Anakin didn't lose because he ran out of hyper-adrenal alacrity. Pretty atmosphere-breaking, if you ask me.
I'll try to answer your points as best I can on an individual basis.

Quote:
spoiler:
But why does Mandalore the Ultimate have +13/+10/+13 on top of his standard class saves and on top of the JEDI SENTINEL state immunity effects? If each +1 is an additional 5% chance to save, +13 is +65% (!), again, unexplained, unwarranted, and on top of already unfair immunities... making using the Force against him a waste of time. Unless, that is, you somehow manage to get your WIS to ~40, to offset his bonuses. For comparison, vanilla Malak has similar bonuses to his saves... but he's supposed to be drawing on the power of an ancient Dark Side artifact.
Show spoiler

Quote:
spoiler:
Speaking of which, it's odd to find that the Mandalorian Wars version of Malak is murder incarnate... even when compared to his Dark Lord of the Sith self.
Show spoiler

Quote:
All in all, I think perspective was lost when building NPC character sheets, what with everyone and their dog being level 20 behemoths of destruction boasting ridiculous saves, defense scores, FP totals, etc. This is still supposed to be a d20-based system, isn't it? Han Solo, Obi-Wan, Vader and other "big" characters aren't level 20 characters. Artificially raising the power level of, well, pretty much everyone to "provide a challenge" results in a state of affairs where power means nothing and tactics are pretty much reduced to spamming stims and life support packs... of which there's an overabundance, which in turn nullifies the intended "challenge"! I don't know about you guys, but I don't remember Obi-Wan and Anakin making pauses in their duel to dope up, and Anakin didn't lose because he ran out of hyper-adrenal alacrity. Pretty atmosphere-breaking, if you ask me.
Difficulty is a matter of opinion and skill, and I'm happy with the difficulty of the boss fights on a whole. Though I agree fully that some of the immunities in some of the boss fights were unfair, and as mentioned I'll consider revising them. Though your comparison to the Star Wars movie battles isn't really a valid one, as video games suspend reality for the sake of challenge all the time.

Though thanks for the detailed critique. It offered a fresh perspective that up until now I hadn't considered.

Anyways, over the past few days I've been working on something that I've been wanting to do for a long time. BoS:SR in comic book form, or at least an idea of what it would look like if it were in comic book form!

I had a blast making it, as you can probably imagine. :P

Silveredge9 is offline   you may: quote & reply,