View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 11:42 AM   #47
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura in another thread
I'm not one to easily change my opinion, but only because I make one based on a solid foundation of proof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura in this thread
Right I'm no expert, so my opinion is moot. I'm not presenting an argument for debate, so I don't expect anyone to take my opinion to heart.
You form your opinions "based on a solid foundation of proof", however when it's pointed out to you that you're not an expert and when you're asked to provide evidence for your accusations, you simply repeat yourself.

Which might make it difficult for some of us to accept it when you say things such as:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura in another thread
When I don't have that much proof to go on, my opinion is very flexible to change, and I don't put much value in that belief.
If you want to believe that DS is superior (which seems not to be the case in many areas), then that is your business, but I don't know what you seek to gain by continuing to argue with people who clearly see the evidence differently than you. Especially since (repeat):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura in this thread
I'm not presenting an argument for debate, so I don't expect anyone to take my opinion to heart.
(Emphasis added)

Hint: Your accusatory/conspiratorial tone doesn't strike me as very being very "dispassionate observer" either. FYI.

Final thought: I must admit that I haven't read that many of your posts. However what little I have read leads me to believe that you are a person who makes an effort to examine arguments critically. Kudos. The world needs more people like this.

Based on what I've seen in this thread, I don't get the impression that you've adopted the practice of turning those critical thinking skills on your own arguments (although I do get the impression that you've convinced yourself that you do, per an earlier quote). Doing so does a couple of things, most importantly a) it allows you to find the flaws in your arguments before someone else does (which may or may not be embarrassing) and b) allows you to make better arguments (if a. didn't cause you to abandon them altogether) because you can anticipate potential counter-arguments.

I would ask you to consider that perhaps you do not have access to all the facts and rationales that went into this decision. That perhaps DS was not the best product (at the best price). I'm wondering if your arguments (which you are presenting, whether you care to own them or not) would sound different if you simply considered these two possibilities.

Thanks for reading.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,