View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #45
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: MGR Revengeance (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
I think that a person is lying if they create a circular argument, or one meant to discredit the person on the opposite side.
A circular argument is a logical fallacy and you can definitely argue its validity, but I still don't think you can consider it lying.

Quote:
Example: It's clear you have no idea what you're talking about
An argument of this type, without any further elaboration as to why someone has no idea what they're talking about is obviously an argument of practically no value and as such shouldn't even be commented on, IMO.

Quote:
Example: If you actually were there, you would see it's different from what you get in a book. It's obvious that you've never been to ******, so there's no point in you trying to argue.
When someone offers this kind of argument, it's pretty obvious that they are taking the topic at hand very personally and because they've been in that type of situation, or live/have lived in a particular place, or whatever, they are convinced to know more on the subject than someone else (and are right in a lot of cases). I know because I've used this kind of argument at least once in a very emotional topic for me. I'm still convinced I was right, but I realize that it wasn't the best way to present my case. First hand experience should count a lot IMO, but it doesn't seem to for some reason.

igyman is offline   you may: