View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 08:10 PM   #52
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura View Post
So they did give Dragon Skin to all the armed forces? I remember that it was banned before it was even confirmed that it was prone to failure in hot conditions.
Did I say they gave the armor to all armed forces? No. I did not, nor did I imply anything remotely like that.

Pinnacle got in trouble because they classified their armor as having Class V protection when they had not received written certification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Yuthura
Third party sources had tested the vests and brought serious question to the Army's tests, even under optimal conditions. If the Army manipulated tests under optimal conditions, then how can we be sure they didn't alter DS under unfavorable conditions?
The one third party source that did testing from what I can see was NBC, and it appears they did so with the vest laid flat. This isn't normal conditions for usage, unless you plan on equipping Flat Stanley with it. It appears to me from reading all these links you've provided that Pinnacle's owner is alleging the Army manipulated tests, but he hasn't shown any proof. In fact, the Army has suggested an independent third party do testing, and Pinnacle hasn't taken them up on the offer.

Please present proof of this alleged manipulation from a legitimate, unbiased source. "Soldiers for Truth" is obviously biased--"Military Procurement Mafia"? Am I supposed to take a site like that seriously? It sounds about as unbiased as Little Green Footballs.

Quote:
Yeah, while those wearing Interceptor will always leave some of their vital organs exposed under any circumstances. Yeah, DS fails in extreme heat, but it's not like it completely breaks down... did you notice that virtually all those penetrations of which the Army claims landed only on the areas where a disc was missing? Of course, if you know where to fire, then that might make it easier to penetrate the vest. If you aimed only at where the Interceptor plates don't cover the torso, it would fail every time.
One shot failure is one shot too many. M16 A1's can empty a clip of 30 rounds in 2.8 seconds. Try taking 30 shots and the entire vest is going to get hit.

Quote:
If you have a gap in the mesh that exposes the heart, there is still a LOT of the vest that still works properly.
Good. You take the vest with the gap over the heart. I'm sure not going to. No gap is acceptable.
Quote:
Notice in the X-rays that the test shots were made at the locations where the discs left the body exposed? I don't believe our enemies had X-ray vision to know where to shoot. If you fired at it with an Ak, I wouldn't put it past there being a few hits at the exposed areas, but the majority of the shots would still have been stopped in the areas that hadn't been compromised.
Notice in the x-rays that the vests were compromised before the firing even started? Can you guarantee me that the enemy is going to miss the compromised areas 100% of the time just because they can't see them? Do you consider it acceptable to get hit even one time by an AK or M16 bullet? I don't.

Quote:
Pepper an Interceptor vest and the same thing would happen. Fire at an uncompromised DS vest, and it would outperform Interceptor in every way.
If it's UNCOMPROMISED, sure. You could have bullet proof plastic encasing someone, but if there were gaps, it's no good.
Quote:
Then why are there instances when the Army does equip special forces with this substandard vest?
If the Army has banned it, how do you know it's being used by Special Forces?
Quote:
Why would they classify so much about their tests if DS doesn't stand a chance against Interceptor?
They said it was to keep from giving the enemy unneeded information.
Quote:
Why would they distort statistics and deliberately modify statements of witnesses to something completely different than they recalled?
Please prove these distortions. I saw nothing in any of your sources that indicated that, other than Pinnacle's owner making that unfounded/unproven accusation.
Quote:
How could so many third-party sources come to such different conclusions about the same tests?
How many 3rd party sources were there, exactly?
Quote:
I would assume there's more to this than the Army wants to admit.
There may be, but I doubt we the public would know about it.

Quote:
I call it irresponsible and depraved indifference to human life if they have distorted tests in order to keep a contract with Point-blank for an inferior product.
That's quite an emotional opinion.

Quote:
Pinnacle has come up with a brilliant design in body armour and if they haven't been given a fair trial, then that's not irresponsible; that's a criminal act against life.
Why hasn't Pinnacle agreed to testing by an independent third party agreeable to both them and the Army, then? That would solve a lot of this dispute, don't you think?

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,