View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #51
SpaceAlex
Forumite

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
The physical address extension limitation is well known, however when recommending x64 as a purchase decision(as you seem to be) some details need to be made clear. At the moment, the benefits of x64 can only be seen in very specific contexts - most of these meaning naught for the average user/gamer:

*niche applications (video editing/animation/computational)
*multiple client server setup
*multiple OS virtualisation

x64 is 'the future' but most devs are not coding for it just now. Same goes for games. The overwhelming popularity of Vista x64 among the enthusiast crowd comes from the magic trick that is the x86 compatibility layer.

One day, proper x64 computing will get here.. but not quite yet
I'm well aware of all of this, but I believe I made my reasons for moving to x64 clear. And I will recommend anyone who's buying a new computer for home to use the same. The more people start using x64, the more developers will start developing for it.

Quote:
organise>layout>menu bar>view>status bar.

Im pretty sure they've removed the free disk space info, and reported that instead in your drive menu.

Yeah, the status bar in Vista/7 is nearly useless as it only shows the number of items within the currently opened folder.

Quote:
To tell truth, I myself never even noticed it was missing

Lucky you. You would've been feeling a sense of loss right now if you had ever gotten used to it.

SpaceAlex is offline   you may: quote & reply,