View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 12:20 PM   #60
SkinWalker
Anthropologist

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
I think atheists are capable of acting like a superstitious cult like the best of us, but if they want to try this, good luck to them!
Of course they're capable. They're human. It's just not as likely or prevalent. :-)

Quote:
Nothing happens to me either way if such a motto appears on a building or coin, or doesn't, so I don't really have a stake. I think the main reason people are interested in stuff like this is the legal precedents that can affect long term trends, etc.
That is one of the primary concerns, as well as the re-writing of American history. Modern religious conservatives seek to dominate government and, ultimately, insert their superstitions into law and policy. This isn't just a rant or an opinion on my behalf, but an admission and a statement of fact by these religious conservatives themselves. Its necessary to counter this from a rational and realistic perspective in order to preserve American ideals and history not to mention protect the religious freedoms of future generations.

Quote:
Don't forget, ALL costs could be used to feed hungry children or spent on something else, and that goes for any cause! One can always argue there is something "more important." Just sayin'!
Very true. And the funds Lungren wants to spend are general taxpayer money. The funds the FFRF is spending is donated to their cause specifically for just such legal action. Many of FFRF's donors also donate to worthy causes and all of their American donors pay taxes. We (FFRF supporters, of which I'm proud to say I am) are fully prepared to feed and help the needy and we do.

A Hot Cup of Joe - My Blog

Not finding an intellectual challenge in the Swamp? Try the Senate Chambers!

Evolution and How We Know It's Right - Post your thoughts!
Debate Strategies & Tactics - Polish your online debate skills and offer your own advice
SkinWalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,