View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 05:58 PM   #75
Samuel Dravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Gaarni View Post
That may very well be the case, but as of today, it's not fact. It's still in the fictional category, only displayed in shows like Star Trek in the form of Q, or the Ancients in Stargate.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. My intention was to show that some religious practices are simply natural results of the sort of creature human beings are. Much like if I, when angry, throw something on the ground. It's not that I expect anything to change because I do this-- it's just something that I do. It makes me feel better, true, but that's not why I do it. The best explanation I have is that such behavior is instinctual. So you see why I'm having difficulty understanding what you mean by saying it's fictional; I don't think that the practice of a religion rises from a belief, but that the two develop concurrently.

Of interest to this idea is this essay by Anscombe, particularly section I.

Obviously the idea that there exist some sort of invisible beings is flawed (I remarked there wasn't any reason to believe in such things), but that's not what I was interested in.

Quote:
I can picture it now. Some dude just enters heaven after a suicide bombing:
"Are those my virgins?"
"Yeah, why?"
"There's some ugly ass guys in here!"

"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,