View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 01:11 AM   #17
RogueJedi86

Current Game: Star Wars: The Old Republic
10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
I guess I am not really into it b/c I'd prefer to socialize with other people in person. I am actually quite concerned how this move will affect the future of human interactions and skills--we've yet to see the negative aspects manifest in a real disaster, but...I'm just seeing a major step in human evolution. Towards dependency on technology, by necessity.

Why does becoming a virtual world have to be a bad thing? I'm thinking a world like Ghost in the Shell, where anyone can talk to anyone at any time using mental links to the internet. Before the internet, it wasn't really possible for people across the globe to talk to each other at the same time, but now here we are chatting. The internet and virtual world doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Too much emphasis is placed on real life interactions, like they're such a big deal. All online relationships eventually lead to real life if they get serious enough(ie a couple getting together in WoW, they move in together in real life). Plus you can't procreate over the internet, so we'll have to meet in person to further the human race. You're overestimating the online universe.

"Sir,we are beginning our search for these rumored 'underwater villages'.They will not stay hidden for long". -Battle Droid Commander OOM-9!
RogueJedi86 is offline   you may: quote & reply,