View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 07:45 PM   #1063
machievelli
Local curmudgeon

Current Game: Dungeonseige series
Hot Topic Starter Veteran Fan Fic Author Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping View Post
Heh, thanks. I didn't expect to have a review with praise or anything, but still, what you pointed out is good to help me write a better story . This just means I'll have to do my research more carefully .
The thing to remember about alternate history is to use something that could easily happen because of events. As an example, Harry Harrison wrote Stars and Stripes forever which started out as a good premise (England going to war with us because of the Trent Affair) but then had the South reconciling too easily after the battle of Shiloh (And an attack on Confederate Mobile by the Brits) to fight the British invaders.

From what I've seen of the Southern commanders, I would have sat back and waited for the North to either be defeated, or kick into high gear so that they face a war on two fronts, not reconcile and fight together.

In fact, if I could find out more about the Sweetcomb&Long Land battery, I would be able to proceed with my own alternate history of that period. The device mentioned above was the first attempt at what we call a tank.

The period you picked would not have made Napoleon's job easier, as the Nile Campaign might have.

'To argue with those who have renounced the use and authority of reason is as futile as to administer medicine to the dead.' Now who said that?

From the one who brought you;
What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Star Wars: The Beginning
Star Wars: Republic Dawn
Return From Exile
machievelli is offline   you may: quote & reply,