View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 10:28 PM   #42
jrrtoken

Unfortunately, most occasions that I've seen and practiced it, Lynk, I end up ruling it as sarcasm, so yeah. >_>

Upon further scanning the article, I found some tasty tidbits, including the adaptation of Disney shorts as 2D platformer segments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caption
Even a small section or level takes many steps to emerge into gameplay. In Epic Mickey, special 2D side-scrolling levels interconnect the larger 3D areas. Every one of these 2D images is based on an old Disney cartoon classic. This area was based on Clock Cleaners, a 1937 cartoon starring Mickey, Donald, and Goofy. Using scenes from the original as inspiration, the team creates a colored concept art piece to illustrate the idea of the level.
There's also more evidence of a dual-world dichotomy, in this case "Toon" and "Inert", which boil down to "nice" and "corrupted", respectively.

The most interesting part, to me at least, is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caption
How you decide to play the game should make a difference. You get to determine what kind of hero you are. Everybody solves the problem. Everybody saves the day. Everybody gets to save the world and gets the girl,” Warren Spector tells us, in regards to the shifting spectrum of play styles that change the appearance of Mickey throughout the game. “But how you do it, and how you end up looking is up to you. What abilities you have is up to you. Who likes you is up to you. What missions you hear about or not is up to you.” Each version of Mickey has a distinct look crafted by the character artists at Mickey, from the crouching and feral scrapper to the stalwart hero.
If this wasn't just pure exaggeration, then I think Mr. Spector just confirmed a massive inspiration from Deus Ex and the like of more gameplay-oriented role-playing. (In case anyone doesn't understand, that's a good thing. A very good thing.)

Last edited by jrrtoken; 10-22-2009 at 10:41 PM.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,