View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #1
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Ultimate Sith Edition: PC Version Reviews Thread (SPOILERS)

Okay, as you all know, the PC version of TFU "Ultimate Sith Edition" ("USE" for short) was Nov 3, and the Mac Version was released Nov 23.

Update: New Reviews, thanks to Metacritic:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...atesithedition

The game has earned a "meta" critical score of 65 out of 100 "mixed or average reviews" from the ones quoted below (Based on 17 critic reviews). They gave it a 5.2 "user score" but it is only based on 52 votes (and doesn't count in the meta critic score). The page now has the text of the "user reviews" on the page.

(Note, I just quoted summaries, click the link above to find links to the full reviews)

Quote:
What The Critics Said

All critic scores are converted to a 100-point scale. If a critic does not indicate a score, we assign a score based on the general impression given by the text of the review.

GameStar

More than a year after the console versions, the Ultimate Sith Edition arrives for PC. The game suffers from problems with controls and balance and because it’s a quite linear game. But it’s Star Wars, nicely presented, with great atmosphere and new missions. And that’s more important in this case.

PC Format

Gives you all the power in the Star Wars universe, but it takes away your opposable thumbs in the process. [Jan 2010, p.85]

Game Over Online

I’ve played worse Star Wars games, way worse, but I’ve also played better ones. This one falls solidly in the middle of the pack.

SpazioGames

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed arrived with a one year delay on a PC, but nevertheless does not introduce any major news, except for an additional level and two unedited seen on consoles. The graphics are suffering from a bad optimization and feels the weight of years, although on balance is sufficient and is gifted of a great physics engine for the simulation of the Force. As for the gameplay, despite the repetitiveness is feels, the fun that can give handle a lightsaber and use the Force, balances the all. Moreover, thanks to a good storyline the atmosphere of Saga was returned faithfully. Also remain unchanged all the defects of the control system imprecise and at times frustrating already seen a year ago on the console. Ultimately, despite the myriad of action securities much more attractive and "new" published in recent months, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is a good title. Recommended to fans of the saga.

IGN

It doesn't fix or change anything in the original game - it just gives you a few more levels and some new skins. If you don't already have the game, give it a look. If you do, you might just want to go the DLC route.

GameZone

Given the emphasis on storytelling and single-player action, The Force Unleashed is tragically flawed execution of a great concept.

Gamers.at

The gameplay doesn't really satisfy me, but what's worse are the technical issues. Still, the game has its moments and can be great fun because of the story and the force powers.

Multiplayer.it

The same game we played one year ago, with some bonus contents and a lack of polishing that makes this version the worst one.

PC Zone UK

A series of spectacularly presented levels. [Feb 2010, p.68]

Total PC Gaming

Only casual types will enjoy up to its conclusion. [Issue#28, p.54]

Absolute Games

The Ultimate Sith Edition additions are nice, but nothing special. In fact, the same can be said about Star Wars: The Force Unleashed as a whole.

PC Gamer

Mediocre. [Jan 2010, p.80]

LEVEL (Czech Republic)

Strict linearity kills all fun in this yet-another-untold-story from Star Wars universe. Nice physics features soon become boring and Kratos can sleep at his throne undisturbed. [Issue#186]

Digital Chumps

The force was unleashed on this game alright, it just happened to be the dark side of the force. The controls seemed to have been programmed by Darth Vader himself.

Cheat Code Central

A plentiful amount of technical bugs and lazy development for the platform make for a frustrating experience despite there being a fun game buried beneath.

GameSpot

A slapdash porting job turns the Force into a farce in this Star Wars action game.

Cheat Code Central

A plentiful amount of technical bugs and lazy development for the platform make for a frustrating experience despite there being a fun game buried beneath.

Please post your personal reviews and any reviews you find on the net, with comments if you like!

Remember this is for the PC VERSION OF THE GAME ONLY. We already have a sticky thread for the console versions. (If you want to post reviews of the CONSOLE versions, try this thread instead).

To start off, I read that IGN gave it a 7.5 out of 10.

Here is a review given by a youtube user by the name of Skyburnbright (using a review copy, from Oct 31st):

Quote:
I'll just get straight to the point and tell you this is unfortunately not a good port. There are no advanced graphical options to speak of, you pick your resolution from the game launcher and that's it. The game is capped at 30 frames per second, which is what the console versions run at, regardless of how good your computer is. The game manages to run pretty steadily at 30 frames, but it does stutter from time to time. The graphics themselves look about the same as the Xbox 360 version, which I have played, except that this has no antialiasing setting, while the Xbox 360 version I believe uses 2x AA, which is at least something. So there's jaggies everywhere. The strange thing about this, is this game comes to a massive 24.6gb installed, which I see no reason for considering the graphics have not been overhauled whatsoever from the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 versions of the game.

Okay, moving on from the graphics, the game controls fairly well with the mouse and keyboard, I'm still getting used to them in this video, but they are pretty easy to use. I've posted a listing of the default controls in the video discription for those of you who are curious. The game also fully supports use of the Xbox 360 controller if you have one.

So yeah, overall a pretty disappointing job from Aspyr on this. I would strongly recommend getting either the Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 version if you can. The game does not run or look better on the PC, and takes up quite a large chunk of hard drive space, making it inferior in just about every way to the consoles. If you have a high end PC and do not own a console, it is a pretty fun game itself and you should enjoy it, but don't expect to be blown away by the PC version.

Thank you for watching.

MOUSE AND KEYBOARD CONTROLS
--------------------------------------
Move Left - A
Move Right - D
Move Forward - W
Move Back - S
Force Dash - L Shift
Jump - Space
Pause - Enter
Camera - C
Options - Esc
Attack - Mouse 1
Block - R
Force Grip - Mouse 2
Force Push - E
Force Lightning - Q
Toggle Lock - L Ctrl
Action Camera - V

COMPUTER SPECS
--------------------------------------
Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 @ 4.0ghz
nVidia GTX 260 Core 216 @ stock settings
4GB DDR2-1066 RAM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Captured using Fraps and Rendered using Sony Vegas Pro 9.
Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbdgErSDrII (with gameplay footage)

PS: As you can see, this person posted her/her PC specs. That will be helpful if you're doing your own review, as we can get an idea of the overall performance.

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn

Last edited by Kurgan; 01-08-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,