View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #36
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Maj. Hasan was born and grew up in the US and was quite American. He was scheduled to go to Afghanistan and serve as a psychiatrist--he was never going to see any combat, much less combat against fellow Palestinians.

Hasan having PTSD? The man never served a day in combat, indeed was never deployed anywhere outside of the US unless he went to some kind of international conference. If he had PTSD, it was from some civilian event. IF is the key word, here.

I think a lot of speculation is premature, since autopsies are still being done on the deceased, forensic evidence is being gathered, and Hasan is still in the hospital, but asking questions isn't inappropriate.

Vigilantism is never appropriate. Jumping to conclusions without facts does no one any good.

However, if asking questions now on how this could have happened can prevent another situation from happening, and it's done respectfully, then I don't think that's disrespectful to the dead. Indeed, we owe it to the dead and wounded to find out all the answers we can to prevent a similar disaster in the future.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,