View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 11:17 PM   #72
El Sitherino
@El Sitherino
The Original.
Hot Topic Starter  LFN Staff Member  Forum Veteran  LF Jester 
Originally Posted by Web Rider View Post
While I would tend to agree, you can produce some evidence to support this yes?
To be honest, I can't think of any particular instances off the top of my head that can be linked to online, however I know of several anecdotal incidents. As well, while I do dislike police for the most part, I have frequently spoken to detectives. Many of which will tell you the chances of the average citizen getting off a reasonable shot.

Though I disagree with your point about a knife or a bat. For a bat or a knife to work, you have to be within arms reach of the guy. Say, 3-4 feet, less to really get use out of knife-force. With a gun however, you could be down the hallway, or heck, on the other side of a door.
And how many first time people shooters have the skill or nerve to shoot from down a hallway?

With a bat or a knife, you have to risk a physical confrontation with the attacker, which means if the person can overpower you, or you stab/hit them in a less-than-knocking-out or killing manner, you're gonna be SOL.
Which is where the whole surprise attack part comes in to play. Not saying it's a matter of every time, but then neither is reacting to gun violence with more gun violence.

Beyond that, there are as well, far too many lawyers who would run a person through the wringer over injuring a person breaking into their home. As the pirates used to say "Dead men tell no tales." And there are actual cases with burglars breaking into a home, being injured or injuring themselves, and winning against the homeowner. I've yet to see a dead robber win a case much less sue.
True, but I don't believe that was the argument here. Besides, there are few people who receive articles written about them that shoot to kill and are not former/current military or police.

Point is, it's better to receive training in self-defense than to simply brandish a gun.

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,