View Single Post
Old 12-25-2009, 10:47 PM   #93
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Jedi Han View Post
The favorable one?
Yes, the favorable one. I asked you which picture was "the real islam" and predictably you responded that the second one. Nevermind that people in either picture would turn to the qur'an to justify their choices.

Quote:
What did I just tell you: These people were blinded by their rage.
So what? Is that supposed to make it okay?

What about the part where they justify their behavior with cherry-picked lines from your holy book?

This is the part where you tell me that they are "interpretting it wrong" and fail to realize that the book itself is probably the problem.

Quote:
What would you do if the man you admire, and whose path you follow gets insulted by a cartoon? And severely insulted.
I live in a country where free speech is taken very seriously. Even if I did not, I don't think I could justify such behavior by claiming that my feeling were hurt. I'm pretty sure someone would tell me to go home a put my big boy pants on.

Quote:
I could insult Jesus by saying that he was the result of Maria and a donkey in a cave, as a payback, but what would that do?
Indeed you could. And for all my distaste of "christians", I at least have to give them credit for not issuing a fatwah on you for the above statement. No innocent men, women, or children will be trampled to death during the protests of your internet post. No store fronts burned. No calls for boycotts of products manufactured in your country.

Yes, for all their warts, most christians don't demonstrate their peaceful way of life by calling for the deaths of those that dare to draw cartoons of their religious icons.

Quote:
What would you do if I said George Washington raped Indians and slaughtered tons of Natives?
Ask anyone here; I would ask for your source.

Quote:
It's like this:
The Jews were the first. God orded Moses to lead them. Moses did what God asked, until the Jews worshipped a golden calf.
God didn't like that, so centuries later he sent a new prophet named Yeshos. He would show the right way to the Jews and most likely succeeded. But centuries later, man began to lose his mind and thought Jesus was the son of God.
God didn't like that neither, so he sent his last prophet, named Mahomet. And so on...
I wonder if any jews or christians would like to jump in here...

Quote:
I didn't understand the "Bernard Louis joke". Keep it simple, I'm a bit stupid lol (concetration problems..)
It wasn't a joke, it was suggested reading.

Quote:
According to the "laws of shame" (if you know the story of Adam and Eve). I would like to see you run naked through town. No, scratch that, I wouldn't. But you understand what I meant, I guess.
"laws" of shame, eh? I guess I'm not familiar with those laws. I like to think I familiar with "norms". Familiar enough to recognize that they differ from culture to culture. How big a shocker do you think my nudie jog would be in a nudist colony? A beach in France? Spring Break in Miami?

The point is that your assertion that some things are "most important to cover" is something fairly arbitrary dictated by the norms you subscribe to. They are in no way universal, however I'm more than willing to listen to your counter argument if you'd like to correct my thinking on the matter.

Quote:
Some people ask themselves "Why are we here?" and find their answer in some religions.
This is true, but that doesn't mean that they are right. It also doesn't mean that religion is a good thing.

Quote:
Seriously, why do we exist, does the earth exist? Galaxies? Why?
My opinion is that this is poor application of the question. 'How did we get here?' is a useful question. 'How was the earth formed', 'How are galaxies created', etc, these are useful questions. 'Why' is not. 'Why' presumes that there is a purpose and I find no good reason to include such a premise in any related investigation. It isn't useful in any way.

Quote:
For me, and I'm sure many other religious people, this world is an exam. We must show our loyalty to JHWH, God, Allah, ... by succeeding in this world, by acting morally and helping others. If we do, we'll get our highly wanted price: The Heaven.
And what happens if you die and find out that it was really Zeus all along? The Greeks had it right and you're screwed.

If this is all a test and passing that test is the most important thing you should be doing with your life, don't you think it would be beneficial to make sure you're taking the right test first?

And if your point is that the important thing is really to "be nice", then why not just do that and leave all the contradictory religious stuff in century in which in was written?

Quote:
If we fail, ... ouch, it's Satan, Iblis, Shaytan,.. waiting for us.
Or nothing. See above.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,