View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 01:11 AM   #8
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mur'phon View Post
The importance of business ethics will be different from person to person but most dosen't care, or doesen't want to know enough to care (an example could be people who believes animals deserves to be treated with respect, but intentionally do not obtain information on how the animals they eat are treated).
That is a good point--for which I only can wish people gave more of a damn.

Quote:
Err, demand? Not sure what you're getting at here.
While at some point the ethos pathos (ethical persona) rhetoric must separate from business, what I am getting at is foundations. You could call a mission statement or promise of sorts. Obviously if you have a bad reputation and people perceive you (your business as well as you the employee/owner) as a bastard, they will not only distrust you but start looking for ways to not do business with you, especially if they don't have to. Reputation is like glass (if you'll forgive the metaphor): Once cracked, people will always look at it; once shattered it is gone. I mean, you can't really buy it back.

I'd think it is necessary to try to meet your clients halfway. Wouldn't you?

[quoe]Not sure if it's that impotant, while many companies might claim to be ethical, they usually only act "ethically" due to percieved gain from doing so.[/quote]

As an example: Smucker's. It is a long standing Jam company. Their motto "with a name like Smuckers, it *has* to be good." Why? Well, most obviously the name smucker rhymes with another word that is an explative in english begins with F, and it sounds similar to "schmuck"...Now I realize I may be conflating concepts but if these people didn't deliver quality, they'd be laughed out of business.

Quote:
While you could say this qualifies, I'd say it has more to do with consumers being ethical than companies.
I will agree with you that there is a halfway point for meeting each other (consumer to company), but not entirely.

It has been my experience that for bad customers who take unfair advantage of lenient policies, there are sevenfold as many customers who are appreciative--at least in my trek through the various service industries as a handyman/caretaker/oddjobber etc.

I am interested to learn where the opposite is true, though. Examples?

Quote:
Alternatively, we shower them with gifts because we want something in return, when government give tax cuts, they want the rich to consume or reinvest, when Joe cubicile brings the boss coffee, he wants to increase the chance of being promoted.
Just as an aside I have observed that bosses very often manipulate employees against one another in this fashion (and if it is a woman--Oh, hell hath *no* fury like that! ). While I suppose strife and rivalry is necessary to get the best your payroll can possibly buy, this eventually becomes counter productive when it crosses over into workplace bullying--though that is more of a middleman problem than a CEO admittedly. CEO's however, have known their middleman longer so are inclined to not believe a new guy/girl.

Carry on.
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,