View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 09:20 PM   #19
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Rider View Post
Arguing that something is a "basic human right" seems to be a common tactic to get people to stop questioning a certain position on it.
So, are the other 29 articles in UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights all wrong, too? Is slavery then OK? Torture? Supression of freedom of religion? Supression of freedom of speech?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web Rider
Why is reproduction a human right? I'm not being facetious here when I'm asking because I really want to know. Reproduction is a basic human capability, it is no more special than cat reproduction, whale reproduction, or fish reproduction. Every living being, human or otherwise, is capable of reproduction. We deny this ability to many creatures, why is it a "human right"?
They are not the same as humans, and you know that. Equating animal with human reproduction is not equivalent.

Some people think 'be fruitful and multiply' is a command, and for them it's a sin to use contraception. Some people think it's important simply to have a family, to have children to love, to have the close social interactions of the family bond, to pass on their genes to the next generation.
Quote:
Men and women are capable of reproduction, but in vastly different ways. A woman can reproduce on her own(with modern technology), but a man cannot. Does this mean that women have a greater reproductive right than men? Men cannot reproduce without a woman(or artificial womb, which is yet to be developed), does this mean that men are denied a basic human right? If that's the case, half the population is being denied a basic human right! Should we institute laws that mandate that all men must be given a woman to reproduce with? Should we make laws that say all women should have access to artificial insemination to ensure they have the ability to use their right to reproduce?
This is taking the basic human right to reproduce into the absurd. It's a right, not a requirement. If it's not a human right, what's to prevent us from turning into China with the 1 child rule, or (re)starting eugenics programs? It's rife for abuse if it's anything less than a basic human right.

Quote:
Again, reproduction is not necessary to an individual's life, they won't die if they never do it, and half the population can't even have a child without someone from the other half. Unlike breathing, drinking, or eating, you don't NEED to reproduce, and therefore, it is NOT a right.
You can also live without freedom of speech and freedom of religion, too. Heck, you can even survive as a slave, you don't NEED to have freedom to live, so with your logic, even freedom is NOT a right.

Quote:
Reproduction should be considered a privilege at best and beyond that generally regarded as only a basic aspect of being an organic, dual-sexed species.
I think the gene pool needs to be as big as possible to prevent increased genetic disease and loss of genetic advantages. What right do any of us have to say to one person "You can have 10 kids" and to someone else, "You can't have any"? Are you God, that you can make such decisions in a just, fair, manner that's not subject to misuse and abuse or even outright fraud?

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,