View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #37
Litofsky
Galaxial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
It appears that way, but I'd venture to say that the information fueling the "head scratching" was fairly worthless:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
The new study, which was completed in December, looked at crashes (and not just at those involving cellphones) in those four places and found no decrease in accidents, despite the bansí having reduced the use of hand-held cellphones 41 to 76 percent. The researchers obtained those numbers by going out to street corners and exit ramps to observe how many people had cellphones up to their ears before the bans compared with after the bans.
To emphasize:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
The researchers obtained those numbers by going out to street corners and exit ramps to observe how many people had cellphones up to their ears before the bans compared with after the bans.
To me, that seems a terribly foolish way to compile data. Wouldn't the local police departments have records of tickets given out for driving while texting, thus providing a place wherein one might compile more accurate data? Basing scientific results off of watching people from street corners seems to me to be terribly inefficient and ineffective (mainly because we don't know the reasons people were on the phones; for example, we are not aware if it is the new law that keeps the phones off, or some other, unrelated reason).
Litofsky is offline   you may: quote & reply,