Thread: Autism
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 05:50 PM   #54
Ghost

Current Game: NBA 2k11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
Whether you mean it this way or not, this comment comes across as incredibly arrogant. You may be in that position now. One thing I've learned in life, however, is that there is always someone who is brighter, better, more talented, wiser, more gifted, more 'X', than I am. It would be unwise to assume that you're always going to be the most intelligent person around. I would recommend the entire book of Proverbs to you, but particularly verses 17:28 and 26:12.
You're right on the arrogant part, but some things have to be experienced first hand. It's just my opinion, but why the big argument over it?Never did I say or ment that I was the smartest thing around. Sure I was saying I was smarter than I would have been without Aspergers, but that doesn't mean I am the smartest thing in the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varisty Puppet
I read some prose written by a person with asperger's and they described it as... well "Hell". Can't find the page for the life of me though.
Sometimes Aspergers can be a gift, or a curse. People do tend to make fun of you because of it, and it can lead you in the wrong direction if you let it control you entirely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Dravis
I was just curious why you thought having a disability was beautiful, because that association strikes me as very, very strange.
Everyone has a different view of it, but it gives you gifts and curses. Nobody ever said it was perfect, but it is a learning experience that's for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q
If I recall correctly, people with Asperger's have a hard time reading body language, putting them at a severe disadvantage when determining another's intent.
Some of that is true, but some also are good at reading people's body language. Say Poker. It's all about reading your opponent. And being smart with your bets.

Quote:
I think they call it "mind blindness
Source? Few scientists say that, it may impair the brain, but it is not blind, for if it was then no Autistic person could do anything, for even the low-functioning can read signs, write things, and sometimes talk. Doctors do it with them in the recreation centers here in San Diego

Quote:
If you don't believe me, then go ahead and broadcast how "smart" you are.
I only said that maybe twice that I was smarter, don't have to take it personally that I am just saying what gifts I was given by Aspergers, which helped explain part of what it is.

Quote:
You'll learn eventually that people don't appreciate it and will make a fun game out of proving you wrong.
Again, I only stated something that was given by Aspergers. Interpret that anyway you want but I will stand my ground on this matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem
You also have weaknesses that a lot of people don't have and you just exploited it by your comment alone.
I may not be that good at debating, but I still can stand my ground. I may have weaknesses that others don't have, but that doesn't stop me from stating my point.

Quote:
You probably offend many without realizing it and I bet there were times you find out later and those moments from time to time have surprised you when you did find out trying to figure out what you did wrong.
Everybody does that once in a while, because sometimes we do say things that state out point, but do offend others.

Quote:
If anything, be grateful for your strengths that comes with Asperger's and some humility for them while studying other people in their interactions with each other and learn to blend in without sticking out too much with small things like mannerisms.
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it, but let me tell you this right now. I have always had trouble blending in, no matter where I go, and somehow in the end I stick out from everybody else. That's something that is a drawback I have, maybe it is part of the Aspergers. So you are correct that everything has a drawback. I do try to work on it, but still I have things to work on.
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,