View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 01:48 AM   #73
Lord Foley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
Avellone's vision was one which is incompatible with the rest of established Star Wars, so his vision of in-universe morality and how the Force works being invalidated is nothing if not a blessing for the continuity. That said, I'm not pleased that basic events of the previous story are being mucked up (TOR has pissed on previously established good canon literally from the first second of its inception); what I am saying is that the more doubt there is thrown on the ideas that Avellone's Fixer Sue stand-ins (Kreia, Canderous, HK-47, Atton, et cetera) peddled to us in TSL, the better. The story was good; its intended message was not.
Not gonna lie, I have a really hard time understanding your distaste for the portrayal of Revan in The Sith Lords. I really liked the character development of The Sith Lords, including the sort of inside story on Revan. You might think I'm just a fanboy eating up the idea of an edgy Dark Side hero, but I certainly don't think Revan was some kind of exceptional guy. What you need to bear in mind is that everything you hear about Revan in TSL comes from his friends- of course they're going to try to justify his actions. I thought it was very cool, sort of "So this is how the bad guys think of themselves," not "OMG Revan was Übersith!" In my opinion, the portrayal of Revan in TSL is vastly superior to one where they all just say "He done turned to the Dark Side!"

This whole secret Sith Empire was legitimately retarded from the beginning, but Revan being in on it is even moreso. If they want to try to weave every story into one overarching cliché, they're free to do so, but there is honestly no chance I will buy this game. Revan was not the sort of person who would defy the Jedi Council just to find someone new to bow to. The guy went with his gut and didn't like to be told what to do. But of course, this fits him perfectly into the generic evil guy slot- "If I'm bad I'll side with the bad guys lol!" No personal characteristics or motives in play- you're either a Jedi or a Sith and randomly generated name.

"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."
―Vergere to Jacen Solo
Lord Foley is offline   you may: quote & reply,