View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Need help with video capturing.

I'm trying to capture recorded shows off my DVR to edit and burn to DVD. I have a pretty crappy solution at the moment.

I bought one of those $20 USB video capture devices, and I got what I paid for (crap). It can capture video, but I could never get audio to work. So I ended up jury-rigging an audio cable from the DVR to the laptop's microphone jack. It works, but not very well. I then use Avidemux (free) to edit the video, output to an .MPG, use DVDStyler to make an DVD image, and then use ImgBurn to burn the .ISO to a blank DVD. In the end, the video quality isn't exactly spectacular.

There has to be a better, more streamlined way of doing this. Plus, I'd like to maintain as much video quality as possible throughout the capturing, editing, and burning process.

Does anyone know a better way? Money won't be too big of a deal, but it'd be nice if as much as possible was free. I imagine I'll have to buy a better video capture device, but I don't have any options. I'm using a laptop because my desktop is too big to carry around. The only input for my laptop is USB.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,