Thread: Doctor Who!
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 06:16 AM   #173
simonsoup
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tingler View Post
The Time of Angels though I'm still on the fence about. It was undeniably an excellent episode, but there a few things that marred it. First of all, Moffat seems to be cramming too much in to his episodes this series. The Beast Below didn't give reasons for half its best ideas, and this time it takes far too long to get the characters exploring the Maze of the Dead. Loved the opening, but tonally was out of place and they really needed to get on with the story. None of Moffat's other two-parters have had this problem, in fact I don't recall any Doctor Who two-parters doing it at all.

Show spoiler

Hopefully the next episode will eliminate these problems.
I found The Time of Angels most thrilling...
Show spoiler

As regards telling good stories, I get what you're saying about Moffat trying to cram too much in, but I think what I enjoy about his writing is how it doesn't stop where you think it will, he digs a little deeper, and risks a mildly chaotic narrative in efforts to make things interesting. The Time of Angels in particular had so many ideas. I've definitely appreciated and understood his episodes more when I've viewed them a second time, which I'm sure isn't the ideal for a childrens' adventure show, but they are packed with good, clever stuff that enriches the Whoniverse.

simonsoup is offline   you may: quote & reply,