View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #339
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
Myself be readin' Cicero's Catiline Orations, the great orator's time to shine. So: Cicero saves the Republic but is exiled as a result. Bit of a downer that.
Definitely a very glum period in his life. It's always interesting to ponder why the ensuing tyrants tolerated him for as long as they did. Dry as it was in spots, I really enjoyed Trollope's Biography of Cicero. For anyone interested, it is available as a free audiobook from Librivox - the particular reader for that work is quite good as far as Librivox standards go.

As for me, recent researches for something I wrote made me pull this out of my bag o' tricks. This book is like sex+chocolate+pizza if you're into iconography in Renaissance humanist artworks. Good ole Mr Wind, Oxford's very first Professor of Art History, what I wouldn't give for a Steven Hawking Time Machine to go back and sit in on one his lectures in the 50s/60s. We have Martin Kemp these days, but he is no Edgar Wind.

If only we could get that douchebag Dan Brown to read more Wind, as opposed to making his own stuff up.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,