View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 03:56 AM   #355
Samuel Dravis

For fun, I am reading Stanley Cavell's The Claim of Reason. This is a very pretentious title, I know, but it does seem to be interesting so far. I haven't finished it yet, but it generally attacks the idea that philosophy consists (solely) of arguments for or against things, and is critical of anyone who wants to understand, e.g., Plato, by identifying the logical structure of his arguments and saying that is the only, or even most, important part. I do like that about it; it is consistent with my overall views and it reminds me strongly of a quote from another of my favorite authors:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soren Kierkegaard
Of what use would it be for me to discover a so-called objective truth, to work through the philosophical systems so that I could, if asked, make critical judgements about them, could point out the fallacies in each system; of what use would it be for me to develop a theory of state, getting details from various sources and combining them into a whole, and constructing a world I did not live in but held up for others to see [...] if it had no deeper meaning for me and for my life?
I have also been reading more of the comic Transmetropolitan. I picked up several collections today and have gone through two of them. The simple outrageousness of the situations that occur - Presidential candidates growing their running mates in a tank to make sure they have clean histories, for example - makes the points of similarity they have to the real world (particularly politics, or social inequality) even more obvious. Spider is my favorite people-hater. Definitely not kid-friendly though.

"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,