View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #28
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
While i'm certain there will inevitably be a Third World War, I hope i'm dead and buried before it ever happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
As we count the years and the generation that fought WWII pass on, then my concern for another world war go up. As long as we were reminded of the human toll WWII cost us I was not overly concern about it happening again. However, being desensitized by images of war in different media makes old photos and newsreels of the human cost of WWII and WWI less of a deterrent. So sooner or later someone will think they can actually win a war and it will happen again.
I agree with pretty much all of this, but i'd add that education isn't up to much now - it largely seems to ignore the human cost of the war, and focuses more on how it started or ended, which is all well and good, but it shouldn't ignore what those who fought those conflicts went through and saw.

Although I do think that there are many potent images from the Second World War, which still have the power to move -
Show spoiler

There are no guns, no bodies, just distraught Parisians in tears as an occupying force stages a triumphal march through their home.

I doubt that any third world war would be fought in quite the same manner, but i've always thought that picture served to remind me that the mistakes of the past should not be made again.

Quote:
Personally I believe it will happen sooner rather than later, diplomatic and signs of respect are already viewed as being weak by a portion of the population and media in the United States.
Obama bowed to the Japs! Fire up the Memphis Belle!

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,