View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #29
machievelli
Local curmudgeon

Current Game: Dungeonseige series
Hot Topic Starter Veteran Fan Fic Author Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da View Post
Considering during the y2k scare, people were building bunkers and stashing weapons, all for a clock malfunction.. then yeah, I'm thinking between mankind's lost marbles and scruples.. a war isn't discountable.

Trouble is, the weapons are far nastier now, than during WWII.
Wouldn't surprise me if it went nuclear or biological, despite the "rules" of war (laughable) barring them. Rules only work when everyone plays by them.

All I know is.. if it happens, I'm buying a German shepherd and naming him "Dogmeat"
Good points. The people complain about actions by Nations who never bothered to accept or as in the case of Japan before WWII, 'set aside' the rules that were supposed to limit the carnage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
As we count the years and the generation that fought WWII pass on, then my concern for another world war go up. As long as we were reminded of the human toll WWII cost us I was not overly concern about it happening again. However, being desensitized by images of war in different media makes old photos and newsreels of the human cost of WWII and WWI less of a deterrent. So sooner or later someone will think they can actually win a war and it will happen again.

Personally I believe it will happen sooner rather than later, diplomatic and signs of respect are already viewed as being weak by a portion of the population and media in the United States.
When it comes to this, the biggest enemy the US has in any future war, ever since Vietnam for that matter, is our own homegrown peacniks. The people who extoll the struggle of our enemies, while dragging every bit of dity secrets our nation might want to keep. Who protest Israeli retaliation for attacks and at the same time ignore the attacks that kill not soldiers but civilians whose only crime is living in that nation. Think of all the 'Americans murdered X number of civilians' but ignores the enemy doing the same. In fact in the web site that lists all the collateral damage done during the gulf war every death, whether killed by American arms or the terrorists is blamedon us!

My favorite comment on this was some idiot that stated the Non proliferation treaty was created so the 'oppressed' couldn't get the same weapons to fight back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor View Post
While i'm certain there will inevitably be a Third World War, I hope i'm dead and buried before it ever happens.

I agree with pretty much all of this, but i'd add that education isn't up to much now - it largely seems to ignore the human cost of the war, and focuses more on how it started or ended, which is all well and good, but it shouldn't ignore what those who fought those conflicts went through and saw.

Although I do think that there are many potent images from the Second World War, which still have the power to move -
Show spoiler

There are no guns, no bodies, just distraught Parisians in tears as an occupying force stages a triumphal march through their home.

I doubt that any third world war would be fought in quite the same manner, but i've always thought that picture served to remind me that the mistakes of the past should not be made again.

Obama bowed to the Japs! Fire up the Memphis Belle!
Worse yet we have the president and his family apologizing because a terrorist organization (WHich has not set their avowed goals regardless) that also happens to be the government of their state are whining that the US wil not give them billions in aid to 'defend themselves'.

'To argue with those who have renounced the use and authority of reason is as futile as to administer medicine to the dead.' Now who said that?

From the one who brought you;
What we die for...
Acceptance
KOTOR excerpts
Star Wars: The Beginning
Star Wars: Republic Dawn
Return From Exile
machievelli is offline   you may: quote & reply,