View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 02:07 AM   #14
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorenna View Post
Err...that's what online Battlefront servers are for. MMO features simply don't work in that setting, 'cuz no one could cross a field for fear that some sniper would gun them down when all they wanted to do was talk to the NPC on the other side of said field. The only way to avoid that situation would be to have a function that disables PvP. This solution would anger people wanting a SW:BF type of game, 'cuz they wouldn't be able to shoot everything in the field.

PS: Mass Effect was only like Battlefront in that you shot things. ME was not an open battlefield; it was a linear shooting spree (as far as combat goes).
You're right.

I will say this though.
Let's say (for arguments sake) that the game had a ME style combat system in a big open world where there was no PvP rules just whoever shot at you could harm you. (PC or NPC)

Now, in more populated areas like citys/towns/villages you would have a strong presence of NPC police/authority characters so that any trigger-happy players would be hunted down by local authoritys.
Think of it like being in the Imperial city in Oblivion, if you attack someone in the middle of the street you're immediately going to have a group of Imperial gaurds try to arrest you and detain you.

Wouldn't this make for a more convincing setting?

VeniVidiVicous is offline   you may: quote & reply,