View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #82
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Trine Enchanted Edition (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery View Post
But, how do you feel about the other examples? I also put forth Kunta Kinte and the 54th MVI. Kunta Kinte is fictional, but his race is -integral- to the entire plot of the series since it is based on African American slavery. The 54th MVI is an American icon. While they may be loosely based on real world events, is it not a disservice to cast them as a different looking race?
I haven't commented on those particular examples, since I'm not really educated when it comes to Kunta Kinte, or the 54th MVI and it would be inappropriate for me to say anything about them.

Quote:
Good, white actors could, indeed, play these roles. The -difference- is that these characters are inextricably tied to their race. Kunta Kinte's entire character, in a way, revolves around his race and how he and those of his race were treated as slaves at the time. The 54th MVI was the first black infantry regiment in the United States history. How about a movie portraying Martin Luther King Jr.?
If it's a historical piece, or any other kind of piece that is supposed to convey a deeper message, it should portray characters and events as accurately as possible, race included. If it's a movie created simply for entertainment purposes (and the opinions I've expressed are focused mostly on that type of movie, even though I might not have been clear enough about it), then I don't see the problem of casting "this actor over that one".

Quote:
Being Colormute is on the same coin as a Racist.
Not offended, don't worry, but I do think you are taking it a bit too far with this statement. A Racist believes his race is superior to all others and thus demeans, discriminates and generally hates everything about other races.
Colormute, well, while I've skimmed through the link you provided, I probably still don't understand the full meaning of the term. As I see it, being colormute means that someone doesn't care about the color of a person's skin, which can lead to both positive and negative results, the negative ones being primarily affiliated with certain job opportunities, like acting.

Quote:
However, when you don't have that suspension of disbelief you look at, say, Naruto and the first thing that comes to mind is "oh look, white people!". Then people get the idea that the Japanese idolize the white man, and so on. This is an interpretation of something that they don't recognize on a daily basis.
Nope, that's not the first thing that comes to mind, at least in my case, but I do agree that anime doesn't make many racial distinctions when it comes to character appearance, but they do distinguish races and nationalities in a very simple and effective way - character names.

Quote:
This is why anime is drawn the way it is; It has the ability to pull in many audiences for its depictions of the world.
Agreed.

Quote:
I've ran around the topic of other media, but how exactly does everything above link to Avatar: The Last Airbender?
It doesn't, but since the topic was started regarding that particular movie, I've tried to stick to examples related to it and similar types of media.

Quote:
The 3 heroes are white, and the enemies are all dark. Not just dark, but the fire nation, in the show, is one of the lighter skinned races.
Well, this is a trick (a very retarded trick, IMO) to attract as much American audience as possible to see The Last Airbender. It, as you may suspect, draws on the whole "War on Terror" thing with the "American good guy" and the "Arab villain". Once upon a time, that place was taken by the Russians and now I hear even us Serbs are starting to become the regular villains of American movies.

Quote:
Ya know what?

"they cast the races properly, but the acting quality still sucks? "

If they had cast the races properly the acting may not of actually sucked.
True, but my point was that it could have happened just as easily as it did with white actors, thus the "Worst Case Scenario No.2" label.

Quote:
For starters, women do the majority of voice acting for children in animation, even boys.
I'm aware of that.

Quote:
Avatar, on the other hand, actually had younger kids voice younger characters in the show. Still, the person you imagine doing most voice acting probably looks nothing like you imagine; that is what they get paid to do: To be invisible. Its like being angry at a director when you find out the set isn't a real place.
Aware of that one, too.

Quote:
Thirdly, I question what you consider "stereotypical", since you praise Mako as a voice actor and his voice is pretty distinctly Japanese. But, I'm going to guess you mean white people talking like non-white people since you used the word "imitating"?
Mako was a Japanese actor and, yes, he did have a very distinct accent. The problem with American media, both movies and cartoons, is that there's little to no room for characters of other nationalities who speak non-accented english, instead if someone is of Russian descent, for example, he must have a standardized Russian accent, the same goes for Chinese and Japanese characters. Let's not forget the black characters who must almost always sound like gangstas. Now, I don't mind that since I see no other value in that media, than some simple entertainment. It's not supposed to educate, not convey a deeper message to the viewer.

Quote:
You don't mind 3 white actors physically playing and speaking the role of Asians, but you draw the line at animated Asians being voiced by... voice actors?
My point is that I don't mind the voice actors, but the same accusations of racism and discrimination could be hypothetically applied to them and their representation of certain characters.

Quote:
I don't mean to pry into a country I know very little about, but isn't, like, over 90% of your country the same ethnic group?
I assume you took a quick glance at wikipedia (I would have probably done the same), but as you know, wikipedia isn't a completely reliable source. Here's a more complete view from the Statistical Office of the Republic of Serbia: http://webrzs.stat.gov.rs/axd/Zip/VJN3.pdf

Take a look at pages 13 and 14. I know it's in Serbian and cyrilics, so you might not be able to distinguish specific ethnicities, but it might give you a better idea on the number of ethnicities present and of their percentages. A small help from me is that the first column is for age groups, starting with a summary of all of the age groups in the first three rows (all, male, female - the second column is "gender") and then divides the population into specific age groups. Column three is for the total number, regardless of ethnicity, or nationality and column four and onwards is reserved for specific nationalities/ethnic groups.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,