View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 11:21 PM   #8
jrrtoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
You've through played AP several times now I assume? Leaving aside minor differences like a few lines of dialogue, how different can you honestly say each playthrough was? You still did all the same missions no? You still go through all the same flashforward sequences where you are discussing events with Leland. In some missions you get the same sort of binary choice as ME - i.e. be a nice guy or shoot someone in the face, in others you don't get any choice at all. In the end you still end up back at the Greybox where you get another binary choice, but it still plays out pretty much the same regardless and you end up riding off into the sunset. How is that different than any other RPG?
It doesn't really stray away from others when it comes to final consequences, yes. What's different about AP is that it attempts to create a unique patchwork of leading to the final consequence. It's like Fallout: In the end, The Master always gets killed and the Cathedral destroyed, but how you get to him, and every other detail that goes along that, is acknowledged in the ending act. Take Deus Ex: Does it really matter if Paul lives or dies? If you kill Anna Navarre on Lebedev's plane? No, it doesn't. The point is, the ideal of unbeknownst, long-term consequences has barely been accomplished in other RPGs, or not at all.

AP at least tries to take a step further and make it seem more dynamic. We're never going to see multiple, unrelated, plot deviations in an RPG; it's purely impractical when it comes to resource management during development. What developers can do, and have very much done so, is to try to give more variable paths within each act. Is it illusionary? When looking at the final result, maybe it is, but it's the experience within the game that counts, not the ending.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,