View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 02:09 AM   #16
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Precisely the reason I was against a war in Iraq in the first place, but supported staying after we got into that boondoggle. I want the troops out, but only when the Iraqi government is able to look after its own citizens. I just hope that this is the right time and not a political stunt, like the war was to begin with.
I felt rather similar. Extending the GWOT to be in two countries at once without a pressing reason was unfortunate. It really set back the effort in A-stan, which I can personally attest to. I also agree that pulling out prematurely is a bad thing, especially for the Iraqi people. Personally, I suspect that the Iraqi government isn't going to be able to prevent the sectarian violence to follow, but who knows, I've been pleasantly surprised before. However, I want either enough US troops in Iraq to have secure presence, or none at all, and I'm not convinced that 50k fits those criteria. US deaths will probably rise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333 View Post
...and, oh how wonderful! Private mercenaries also get to stay...whatever that means...
This is a bit of a pet peeve of mine, but PMCs are quite different from the mercenary companies that used to be so prevalent i.e. Executive Outcomes (though EO had a certain amount of professionalism and was somewhere in between classic mercenary groups and the modern PMC). They are very limited in scope and MO, and are pretty much nothing like how they are portrayed in the vast majority of films, video games, etc. Also, a number of the PMCs in Iraq at this point are actually Iraqi firms that have grown in-country during the war, and employ a large number of Iraqi citizens for various roles. I hope that didn't come off as pedantic, I just like to make it clear that there is a difference. (Disclaimer: Although I've never worked for a PMC, I interacted with a number of their employees in the field, and have some friends who now work as contractors.)

Hit And Run Poster Extraordinaire
--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,