View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 10:23 PM   #20
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
"Gray zone" as in "above the law" or whatever passes for it in Iraq these days? Or was there something else more specific you had in mind?
Generally, the "gray zone" is due to a certain lack of clarity on what law the employees of a PMC are subject to. The PMC itself isn't in a gray zone if it commits a crime, but individual employees often are (whether they should be tried by Iraqi law, US law, US UCMJ, the law or military equivalent of whatever country the employee is from, the law or military equivalent of whatever country the PMC is officially run from, etc.). This is a problem that really should have been addressed by now, but hasn't, for various reasons. I feel like we're getting a bit off-topic here, so perhaps any continuation of discussion of PMCs should be in messages or a new thread.

OT: Pretty much anyone who's gone on a domestic flight in the US in the past week has encountered far more soldiers than ordinary because of the withdrawal. On my flight a few days ago I had a nice conversation with a SSG from the 82nd Airborne, and I must have seen pretty much an entire platoon's worth of men from the 10th Mountain Division in the airport.

Hit And Run Poster Extraordinaire
--Too Dumb to Quit--

Last edited by Liverandbacon; 08-22-2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Because I can.
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,