View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #13
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Just want to be clear, not all those on food stamps are "lazy." Some have worked their entire life to support themselves and their families only to be kicked to the side by the current economic downturn.

I have a cousin that works about 38 hours a week (she would work more, but the company only allows employees to work less than 40 hours in order to prevent the extension of benefits.). A barely over minimum wage job does not provide the income necessary to support a family of four. Before someone bemoans lazy and having children just to get more money from the government, when she had the children she was married and had to the income to support everyone comfortably. Problem is death does not provide income and the dead do not pay child support.
Sorry, the sarcasm didn't show through very well. When talking about THIS economy, where not having a job(or even being underemployed as so many are right now) is not a matter of choice, I would NEVER assume that someone is lazy because they do not have a job. Are there some that are out of work because they are lazy? Sure. Are there some that game the system? Yup. Do I automatically think that everyone who is on Welfare is lazy? ABSOLUTELY NOT! I was being a bit silly in that the common perception of people like Beck is that those that are on foodstamps are just lazy

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,