View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #13
Bob Lion54
Jr. Malkavian Detective

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Dravis View Post
The question is, is using this machine as a routine security measure justifiable in the case of this man, who is to all accounts and purposes a known agent with a history with the airline?
Then that would put the decision in the hands of the persons performing the searches, would it not? Policy and procedure are set by a different group of people. Once a a policy is set, it should be carried out by the people "in the trenches" consistently and without exception. Your definition of "his history, his bearing, his station, his character, his associations, the previous security measures he'd already been through" might differ greatly from mine, for instance.

If they don't carry out security consistently, that can lead to a lot of problems. We already saw the whole racial profiling thing. Searching everybody stops this. (or at least makes it more unlikely to happen.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Dravis View Post
Basically this situation strikes me like this: would it be reasonable to strip search your good friend on the off chance he's gone crazy and is packing a knife to stab you with since you saw him last week?
I would hope if you called someone a good friend, you wouldn't be inclined to worry that they would go crazy and kill you. The people that set the procedures don't know this man, and neither do the people that work at the security check points. At least, it's unlikely they do. Maybe they recognize him from passing through the checkpoint a number of times, but that would (and should) be about it.

Bob Lion54 is offline   you may: quote & reply,