Old 11-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
Qui-Gon Glenn
Necessary Roughneck

Current Game: ME3MP, Arkham Origins
Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Forum Veteran Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Please tell me you are joking. Please

Without World War II America the 1940’s would have been similar to the 1930’s. Even before America entered the War, American was finally put back to work supplying Russia and Great Britain in the war against Germany. World War II and the allies’ victory are exactly what propelled American to a world power. The returning soldiers and things like the GI Bill are what lead to the baby boom and the ability to pursue further education. World War II itself lead to getting women out of the kitchen and into the work place.

If you want to say 1945 to 1950 (Korean War), then I give you that. However, I would like to point out it was not the Golden Age for everyone. Just look at women’s rights during that time and how African Americans’ were treated. Look at segregation and the Tuskegee syphilis experiment for just two examples.

People look back at the past with nostalgia for a simpler better time. The problem is the memory forgets everything that was wrong with society back then.
Quoted for every well spent word.

The Golden Age was when there was no country yet, and it was all a grand ideal. As soon as hierarchy and rule came into play, the only Golden Age was for the Golden rulers.... Reminds me of my favorite line from Dazed and Confused... something about old rich white men not wanting to pay their taxes.

Common sense is lacking, of course. It is not really all that common, after all. I argue, much like the Uncle in the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, that it is logic that we should be teaching. Logic can save you where common sense does not exist! Plus, it can actually be taught and learned!!

Critical thinking....

Want to play a game of ME3MP?
Qui-Gon_Glenn on the software of which we shall not name.... add me and the enemy shall fall in chunks of crimson salsa

Last edited by mimartin; 11-08-2010 at 06:16 PM. Reason: not really I can't even spell simpler. :) Edit my quoted text
Qui-Gon Glenn is offline   you may: quote & reply,