View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
Heya stingerhs, first thing I checked was that, however using either headphones or plug in speakers produces the same effect. I tried Rays suggestion with the codec pac but the problem has persisted. Bills suggestion did reveal the computer has a very high latency, however the items I disabled, while reducing the latency and improving the stuttering didn't eliminate it.
well, sometimes the first thing people skip is the obvious one. good to see that you're on top of it.

sounds like a driver conflict of some kind given that you were able to eliminate some of the stuttering by disabling a couple of items. i'd recommend that you stick with that particular road and start disabling devices one at a time. given that its an XP machine, you'll probably have to reboot a couple of times, but it should isolate the problem soon enough.

i doubt this is the issue (and you might've checked it already), but it might be worth your while to check in the BIOS to make sure that no other audio devices are active (such as the very common Realtek AC97). i mention that because i've run into a couple of instances with an audio device being present both on the mobo and built into the Northbridge at the same time. again, its probably not the issue, but it might be worth looking into.

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,