Thread: Fixed Football?
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 11:43 PM   #5
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
I think a better thread title would be "sports rigging" or something like that.

Now when it comes to things like Pro Wrestling, of course it's supposed to be fixed. (Unless of course you're talking about Back Yard Wrestling or ECW in its earlier days where you had guys jumping out a 20 ft. high balcony to crash land on their opponent right through a table.) PRO Wrestling is more about entertainment and is all scripted.

When it comes to other sports...they're competitive and unscripted but I would not deny there is a lot of back office politics that goes down. Boxing, international football (soccer), Baseball, Hockey, American football, etc.

Even on local, regional, and even national levels as a soccer referee, I have gone through a lot of politics myself. This is not something I want to do or like to do. Also, you have players and coaches that play dirty.

I think it comes down to the fact that real life is just that way. There is no way around it, people are going to rig "the game" (any sport) one way or the other. Like it or not. It's wrong. To be realistic, it's going to happen no matter what. The best I can do is try to make it fair as possible despite people, and even despite weird rules. The best anyone can do, really.

If there is no 'clique' or 'machine' in any given establishment, it's either chaotic or unusually cohesive/cooperative (the latter of which is ideal). Everywhere I've been there is almost always someone who "runs it" be they officially in charge or someone looking to hold an edge over everyone else.

There are any number of reasons. Money usually when it comes to professional sports. Status otherwise. And of course benefits in any case like scholarships, or what have you. So I am not surprised it happens in American football. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Though one type of official position that especially needs scrutiny is a forum moderator--that *always* needs a little jab of scrutiny.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,