Thread: Doctor Who!
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #195
Kroms
Moose fell on my head

That and a million other things.

Done with Series Four. I'm almost done with the Specials. I only have The End of Time left.

My Series One rankings, in case anybody was dying for them:

1. The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
2. Dalek
3. The Unquiet Dead
4. Father's Day
5. The End of the World
6. Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways
8. Rose
9. The Christmas Invasion
10. Boom Town
11. Aliens of London/World War III

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tingler View Post
Series 3 and 4 are even better and certainly the strongest two so far.
I have to disagree. I think Series 5 runs rings around any of the RTD seasons. The weakest of the lot came from a RTD-era writer, that hack Chris Chibnall.

As for Series Four: I prefer Donna over Martha and Rose. Rose was this whiny, clingy loser (sort of; she has her brilliant moments), and Martha was a lovely woman who deserved better than to be stuck in a b-sci/fi soap opera. Maybe it's because I love Catherine Tate and her brilliant comedy, and maybe it's because there was nothing vaguely romantic between those two, and her family not being this annoying bunch of idiots helped a lot, but yes: I prefer Donna Noble over the other two.

1. Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead. The idea of a time-travel love story is brilliant. Starting it from one POV, ending it from another: moreson. It being set in a vast library where the dark is eating people up? Woof. I love it.

2. Midnight. It was spooky and weird, and actually ripped up the Doctor. He has no authority and humans are panicking.

3. Turn Left. A nice "What if?" story.

4. The Stolen Earth/Journey's End. Okay, it has more holes and deus ex machina than a bad Greek play, Davros is practically an X-Man and yes, the world is saved with a switch, but I found it enjoyable. I saw it with a friend and we both enjoyed it a lot. Our companionship undoubtedly helped. I get why people would call it wank, but it was nice mindless tele. I'm also a bit of a Davros fan, and the guy who played him did a good job. Donna's ending was appropriately sad.

5. The Fires of Pompeii. The dialogue is embarrassing, but the story is generally OK and I love a bit of Ancient Rome. The Doctor causing it wasn't a bad touch either.

6. Planet of the Ood. Not the best story, but it had its emotional moments. Quite atmospheric. Had some **** scenes, like the one with the claw. Rabid Ood was...yeah. :/ The brain thing broke my heart though.

7. The Next Doctor. It's a weird mix of sweet and lame. I ended up enjoying it, but it's not what I'd call "good".

8. Voyage of the Damned. Full of unnecessary deaths and cheesier than Cheddar, but it was fun. Nothing spectacular.

9. The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky. More style than substance. World's dumbest cliffhanger (seriously, just break the ****ing glass already). Excellent performances by the two Sontaran guys. The geniuses thing was kind of lame. The suicide was lamer. In the world of Doctor Who, people kill themselves for nothing. It's emotional or some ****.

10. The Doctor's Daughter. Jumble of ideas never followed up on or fleshed out. Still enjoyable. I liked the bubbly aliens that Martha understood for an unexplainable reason, though her entire presence in that story was unnecessary.

11. Partners in Crime. Stupid ****wad story, but a lot of the dialogue was funny.

12. The Unicorn and the Wasp. This was just embarrassing.

Last edited by Kroms; 12-25-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Kroms is offline   you may: quote & reply,