View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
Alexrd

Current Game: Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 HD
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sordid Dreams View Post
However, please don't insult my intelligence by telling me the temple is utilitarian.
I said "it's the house of 10,000 people from their order, among other things. Therefore, you do need a big place. And there are no superfluous objects within the temple, as far as I know.".

Quote:
The numerous statues,
Yes, the Jedi statues, probably made in honor of the lives or deeds of thoes Jedi Knights.

Quote:
reliefs, and decorative columns present throughout the level aside,
Maybe to support the temple itself?

Quote:
look at this screencap from Ep 2: http://images.wikia.com/starwars/ima...b/E2coru38.jpg
Those arches over the walkway are at least fifty meters tall and god knows how tall the ceiling is in the main room through which the suspended walkway leads.
Ironic enough, you don't see a single object (superfluous or not) in there. As they say, no possessions.

Quote:
Also notice that it is all completely empty and serves no purpose.
Not one that you don't know, anyway.

Quote:
And it doesn't exactly look crowded, does it?
What's that suppose to mean?

Quote:
Don't tell me they built it that huge, on a city-covered planet where empty space is a premium commodity, out of necessity.
Being that the main hall, you can't judge the temple itself only by that place. On other shots we see small corridors (tall indeed).

Quote:
It's opulent and vulgar, that's what it is.
So what?

On a more on-topic note, which level did you vote for?

EDIT: From the Wookieepedia:

Quote:
The Coruscant Temple's origins date back to 5,000 BBY when, at the begining of the Great Hyperspace War, the Galactic Republic granted the Jedi land on Coruscant over a sacred mountain, which contained a Force-nexus. A holy place for the local Coruscanti, the Republic hoped by granting the Order land they would build a massive fortress like those they had established on Ossus, Falang Minor, and Haashimut. However, the Order did not wish to entangle themselves with the politics of the capitol or become a symbol of war and opted to build only a small meditative enclave. It wasn't until the Old Sith Wars saw the devastation of Ossus and the Great Jedi Library located there that the Order decided to reestablish its academy at the Sacred Spire. At the behest of the Order's wisest thinkers, the Four Masters began the painstaking task of building the Temple Ziggurat. Growing steadily for the next thousand years the Temple incorporated various pieces of historical works and architecture from their past, including tiles and stained-glass mosaics from the lost complex on Ossus.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,