View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 06:35 AM   #4
Alexrd

Current Game: Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 HD
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
This is too much off topic, but just to clarify:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sordid Dreams View Post
They are decorative and therefore superfluous. Just like those groovy neon bookshelves in the archives. Given that all the information is stored digitally, those are nothing but decoration. As are the busts.
No. Statues and busts are not meant to be decorative. As I said, they are made as a sign of honor and respect.

Quote:
I seriously doubt a spacefaring civilization's architecture relies on stone columns for structural support.
It does. And it's not a first on the Star Wars universe.

Quote:
Right. Apart from tailor-made robes,
Tailor-made?! From what I know, the Jedi robes are simple, specifically to show their modesty.

Again, from the Wookiee:

Quote:
Boots, loose-fitting pants and a cloak typically accompanied the garment. As these garments were not usually elaborate, the outfit mirrored their attachment-free philosophy, as well as showing their requirement to live almost devoid of luxury and also their devotion to service. The apparel also allowed great freedom of movement. The rough material proved useful on survival missions, as it was strong enough to show some resistance to tearing and fraying, as well as putting the wearer through some discomfort to help sharpen their focus.
Quote:
gold-plated lightsabers,
Quote:
Electrum was a rare metal once used in lightsaber construction as a sign of Force mastery.
Besides, not every Jedi has "gold-plated" lightsabers.

Quote:
fine leather boots, assorted droids, personal starfighters, and various other items a typical humble monk needs.
Typical humble monks don't go on missions (many times dangerous) across the galaxy. Therefore, they do need the material you mentioned.

Quote:
That's the sort of accommodation that you get in a royal suite at a five star hotel. Humble ascetic monks my arse.
First, on a royal suite at a five star hotel, you don't pay for space only. Second, you can see on the movies their rooms and how empty and simple they are. And third, you seem to forget that the Temple has a huge library, computer rooms, holo rooms, etc, etc...

Quote:
Okay, I wasn't completely fair in that assessment. There is one purpose it serves, which is to show off.
From this picture you used yourself, you can see that the jedi temple is not just to show off.

Quote:
Exactly what it says. You claim the temple is as big as it is because it needs to be for the vast numbers of Jedi who live in it.
Among other things.

Quote:
Yet looking at that picture, it seems to me the room could've been a tenth of that size and still would've been quite adequate.
Maybe, but as it's said: "Growing steadily for the next thousand years the Temple incorporated various pieces of historical works and architecture from their past, including tiles and stained-glass mosaics from the lost complex on Ossus. "

Quote:
Nothing, I guess. If building large and opulent structures for no other purpose than to show off seems like a Jedi-like thing to do to you, then I guess everything's in jolly good order.
I've explained the purposes, yet you like to ignore them, and say it's just to show off. This article explains very well most of it's purposes, if you like to take a look.

Quote:
Allow me to throw your "so what?" right back at you. What exactly is your point with this?
For you to read this: "A holy place for the local Coruscanti, the Republic hoped by granting the Order land they would build a massive fortress like those they had established on Ossus, Falang Minor, and Haashimut. However, the Order did not wish to entangle themselves with the politics of the capitol or become a symbol of war and opted to build only a small meditative enclave.".

And this: "It wasn't until the Old Sith Wars saw the devastation of Ossus and the Great Jedi Library located there that the Order decided to reestablish its academy at the Sacred Spire. At the behest of the Order's wisest thinkers, the Four Masters began the painstaking task of building the Temple Ziggurat. Growing steadily for the next thousand years the Temple incorporated various pieces of historical works and architecture from their past, including tiles and stained-glass mosaics from the lost complex on Ossus. ".

Which answer most of your concerns.

But enough with the off-topic. This topic is about our favourite level.

Quote:
Death Star, but it was a pretty tough choice. The only levels I didn't like were the Raxus Prime ones, and then for the most part only because everything in them is this nasty toxic yellow. No variety. And rusty pieces of scrap metal look like crap no matter how high the number of polygons and resolution of the texture used to render them.
I haven't voted yet, although I'm very inclined to go for TIE Fighter Factory. I like the whole ISD theme.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,