View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sordid Dreams View Post
That may be so (even though it sounds a lot like attachment, another unjedilike thing), but they do not perform a practical, useful function. Therefore, they are superfluous and decorative.
To be remembered. Just as in real life.

Quote:
The fact that the temple still stands even though a lot of these columns have collapsed shows they are not structurally essential.
How can you say "a lot", when you don't even know how many there are?

Quote:
They're simple in the same way the Pope's clothing is simple. They may have started out simple, but now they're available in a range of different colors, materials (see Anakin's leather vest) and patterns (Jocasta Nu). Plus I wouldn't call even the ordinary robes simple, not with their elaborately overlapping layers. And then you have someone like Shaak Ti, who wears jewelry all over her face. When was the last time you saw a nun with jewelry?
As I said, let's leave the religious part for another place. And you must be the only one who think the Jedi robes are elaborative. As for Shaak Ti, it has to do with Troguta's tradition, not vanity.

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrum:

Yeah. Gold-****ing-plated. And you know why?
Did you read the rest, or you just want to ignore?

Quote:
As Plinkett points out in his review, Jackson was cast in the films to appeal to black people.
What?

Quote:
It's the exact same reason why he has a gold-plated lighsaber. It's bling, which is just about the pinnacle of vanity.
Now I'm starting to think you are just trolling. What part of the "as a sign of Force mastery" you don't understand? It's all symbolic.

Quote:
But they can! That's the point!
No, not everyone can. And the purpose of the electrum is stated above.

Quote:
Oh sure. But then don't go saying "no possessions". As it stands, it's "no possessions... eeexcept all of this stuff that they may or may not need some time in the future".
No. Material necessary to complete a mission does not promote possession or "show off".

Quote:
But I imagine the excuse is the same as with earthly religions. It's not property of the individual, it belongs to the church. Right?
If you would like to discuss religion, maybe it's a good idea to create a topic on the right section. Not here.

Quote:
Can I? Somehow I don't recall that. I remember the Council Chamber (on top of, appropriately, an ivory tower), some classrooms, briefing rooms, and a meditation chamber. Don't recall seeing any appartments. Where exactly did they appear?
Yoda's chamber?

Quote:
No I don't, I only assigned half the interior space to residential facilities, the other half is for the other stuff you mentioned. Seems reasonable to me.
Indeed it does. Nothing unbelievable.

Quote:
Let me congratulate you on your magnificently constructed straw man. You imply I was talking about the whole temple while you're in fact very well aware I was referring ony to the vast room seen in the movie screenshot.
No, I wasn't. And even if you were talking about the hall, how is that a sign of show off?

Quote:
Yes, so? I don't see any of those in the screenshot (or anywhere else in the films, for that matter). I want you to tell me what the purpose of that room is. With most rooms in most buildings it's easy to tell just by looking. A library is for storing books. A kitchen is for cooking meals. But what is that room for? There's nothing in it that would perform any kind of useful function.
The main hall? The same purpose as any other hall. And maybe you don't see than in the movies (which actually can be seen), but you see them in the level, which you complained about in the first place.

Quote:
Oh... you used the same straw man again. It's not as impressive as the first time, you know.
How is that a strawman?

Quote:
Ya, because they already had a few massive temples elsewhere.
To store historical artifacts and information related to the order, as the article says.

Quote:
You keep repeating that as if it has some kind of relevance to what we're discussing. I quite honestly don't see it. I don't see how any of this is relevant to the current temple being an opulent and vulgar show of wealth and power.
Yes you do, but you just want to ignore it. You say the temple is opulent and just to show off. I say it's not, you accuse me of using a strawman when a picture you posted shows that you're wrong, and the quote I made says: "the Temple incorporated various pieces of historical works and architecture from their past, including tiles and stained-glass mosaics from the lost complex on Ossus." which justifies why it is so big.

Quote:
Yeah, and what a lively topic it is.
Lively or not, it's not an excuse for off-topic. So cut it off. Well, maybe a moderator will.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,