View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 05:23 AM   #16
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I'm pretty sure that the 1200 is dimensionally similar to the 900/902 in regards to width and depth; it's just quite a bit taller. Both the 902 and the 1200 have washable dust filters on the intake fans where the 900 does not. I have a 900, but I sewed no-see-um netting to all of the mesh panels which keeps out the dust and is unnoticeable at a glance. I have a large CPU heatsink/fan, and the only modding that I had to do for it to fit with the side-mounted fan was to move the lexan window down an inch or two and drill a couple of new holes in it for the screws. All of that stuff is under an exterior mesh panel, so that mod is also unnoticeable. And if you're concerned about the gaudy blue LEDs, just crush them or snip the wires to them and problem solved.

One thing about that Vertex 2: I've read that several people have been experiencing troubles with it that the other SandForce SSDs aren't having. It has a slightly different controller, SF-1200SE as opposed to the normal SF-1200, which is most likely the source of the trouble. As such, I'd go with either a Corsair Force F120 or a G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 120GB. Here is a performance comparison between the Vertex 2 and the F120 for reference. As you can see, the performance is largely identical, with the exception of 4KB random reads (where the F120 smokes the Vertex 2). The G.Skill's performance should be more of the same, since it also has an SF-1200 controller.

And, last but not least, Sandy Bridge launches in less than a week. Intel is launching the mainstream platform (socket 1155/P65 chipset) first and is holding off on launching X58's successor until Q3 2011, but we'll still be able to see what this brand-new architecture is capable of compared to Nehalem. From the looks of things, the premium on CPUs with unlocked multipliers isn't going to be very high at all ($21?), so overclocking will still be possible.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,