View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #17
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sordid Dreams View Post
What I was talking about was why the filmmakers wanted to have him in that role, and I think you damn well know it.
Because he asked for it.

Quote:
Actually in my case it's inference based on indirect evidence. In yours it's just a contrarian speculation with nothing holding it up.
Indirect evidence? Where?

Quote:
I do think Jackson's casting was an attempt to broaden the appeal of the films in that direction, yes.
How? What does one thing have to do with the other?

Quote:
Really? So the Empire's xenophobia and pro-human bias escaped you? Even in the Original Trilogy there's a very subtle subtext of all the Rebels having American accents and all the Imperials being Brits. I guess you didn't notice that.
I'm not talking in-universe. I'm talking about the Star Wars brand. It was never about race.

Quote:
So I guess you had no idea what Poggle the Lesser was on about until you watched a version with subtitles, huh?
Even Poggle the Lesser has humanoid traits.

Quote:
If you have aliens who think, feel, and act like humans, then why not just have humans? Admittedly this problem isn't limited to SW, the vast majority of science fiction suffers from it.
Indeed. The purpose is to have a variety of aliens on a big galaxy, but the aliens themselves are played by human beings. (most of them)

Quote:
So on the one hand you argue that they have human traits for a reason, and on the other hand you can't see those traits?
I see human traits (because they are played by humans), not caricatures of foreigners. And I'm the one with strawmen...

Feel free to leave the conversation, because I will too. This is not about the Jedi Temple anymore...

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,