Thread: [KOTOR] HardCore 2011 Talchia Style
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
Qui-Gon Glenn
Necessary Roughneck

Current Game: ME3MP, Arkham Origins
Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Forum Veteran Veteran Modder 
HardCore 2011 Talchia Style

EDIT: If you installed the old version of this, you will want to delete the file k_def_buff from your override! Keeping that in with this new version may make your game annoyingly difficult at times, and in general is overkill.

Hello!

From the ReadMe:
Quote:
Get HARD CORE BUFF with a single script!

//////////////////////////////////////////////////
//::qg_hardcore (was k_def_buff)
//:: Copyright (c) 2001 Bioware Corp.
//:://////////////////////////////////////////////
//:: Created By: Preston Watamaniuk
//:: Created On: April 8, 2003
//:: Modded By: Qui-Gon Glenn
//:: Contact: see me at Lucasforums!
//////////////////////////////////////////////////

Searching for source scripts to things entirely unrelated, I just thought I would look at the standard buff script the game uses for buffing your opponent according to the PC level. In it, I noticed that although it was intended that Jedi get buffs to their Charisma as well as their Dexterity and Wisdom, Charisma had been left out. So, I fixed that, and then thought... well that just made jedi tougher at these levels, why not do the whole thing?

Then I realized that Talchia's famous Hardcore Mod was essentially doing what k_def_buff was doing, but inside of k_ai_master - nearly identical script. Thinking that editing k_def_buff alone could do alone what the HARDCORE mod was doing, I released that. Kalaxia then brought up the excellent point - most of your opponents do not call on k_def_buff at all!

The issue I have found with Talchia's mod is that it is buried inside of a massive script (k_ai_master), so changing values can be intimidating as you do not want to break a master script! For adaptability, it is better to inject a sub-script into k_ai_master (thanks stoffe!) that the end-user can change easily/at will, as it is very focused and easy to read.

The standard buffs have been increased significantly, and by PC Level 17+ your opponents are uber-buffed, like Hanz and Franz! The bonuses are almost identical to Talchia's (some are slightly greater), and additionally this mod fixes the un-bonused Charisma bonus that Bioware Corp. intended and noted, yet did not script in. It also adds a dexterity bonus to Beasts, and a constitution bonus to Droids, just to spice things a little further.

Enjoy, post any issues you find in the HERE!!! - shouldn't be any!

Disclaimer: Look at the copyright above - I didn't write this script, Preston did. I altered it, cleaned up unnecessary comments, and made it behave as described in PW's dev notes. Therefore, I have no rights to this whatsoever- belongs to GL and LA and BioWare.

: Holowan Labs for being a great environment to bang my head against a wall
: Talchia, for inspiring the mod and providing an illuminating ReadMe, albeit no source code
: Fallen Guardian, for beta-testing
: Yoda
Do not play this *with* Talchia's mod - they both alter the same file (k_ai_master) in a different way... simply choose hers or mine
If you are using a mod that already alters k_ai_master, it is easy to integrate this mod... you will simply need to copy my lines 157-161 from my version's .nss and paste them into the perception field... for help doing this, please see the links provided in post #9

For the specific of what it does, from the in-script description
Code:
/*  Buffs the target object based on the level of the main PC

Default buffs have been replaced with values inspired by Talchia's Hardcore mod.
    Charisma Bonus for Jedi has been fixed - it was not finished by Bioware Corp.
    Strength Bonus for Jedi added per Talchia's original mod.
    This mod may be a good bit harder than Talchia's concerning Dark Jedi, considering the fixed Charisma buff.

Jedi (class) will get the following:
    Player Level 8+: +6 to Wisdom, +6 to Charisma, +6 to Strength, +75 Force Points, +75 Vitality Points. 
    Player Level 13+: +12 to Wisdom, +12 to Charisma, +6 to Strength, +125 Force Points, +125 Vitality Points.
    Player Level 17+: +20 to Wisdom, +20 to Charisma, +20 to Strength, +200 Force Points, +200 Vitality Points.

Beasts (subrace) will get the following:
    Player Level 8+: +9 Strength, +6 Dexterity, +90 Vitality points. 
    Player Level 13+: +12 Strength, +10 Dexterity, +120 Vitality points.
    Player Level 17+: +20 Strength, +16 Dexterity, +200 Vitality points.

Droids (race) will get the following:
    Player Level 8+: +9 Dexterity, +9 Constitution, +90 Vitality points.
    Player Level 13+: +12 Dexterity, +12 Constitution, +120 Vitality points.
    Player Level 17+: +20 Dexterity, +16 Constitution, +200 Vitality points. 

Scoundrel, Soldier, Scout (class):
    Player Level 8+: +6 Dexterity, +6 Strength, +75 Vitality points.
    Player Level 13+: +12 Dexterity, +12 Strength, +130 Vitality points.
    Player Level 17+: +20 Dexterity, +20 Strength, +200 Vitality points.
*/
EDIT: Thanks Marius!!

new KotOR Files Link Pending

My apologies to all who have downloaded and not experienced HardCore buffing.... You will now, and thank you so much to Kalaxia for taking the time to test and troubleshoot!!
Enjoy!

Want to play a game of ME3MP?
Qui-Gon_Glenn on the software of which we shall not name.... add me and the enemy shall fall in chunks of crimson salsa

Last edited by Qui-Gon Glenn; 01-29-2011 at 04:43 PM. Reason: KFiles link updated, thanks Marius!
Qui-Gon Glenn is offline   you may: quote & reply,