View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #20
mstr kenobi
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Kitty View Post
That's actually very common in most games with sequels. I've been gaming since essentially the dawn of the home computer era, and I've seen this same thing happen time and time again.

One of the more prominent examples would be the Fallout series. I think I'll always love the first the most, but most people I knew who jumped in with Fallout 2 tend to like it better. I won't even go into my opinions on Fallout 3 (and beyond), but suffice to say the same sort of phenomenon tends to apply, if anything in an even more pronounced sense due to the vast differences in style and feel between the "early" Fallout titles and the more modern FPS-styled ones.

The point to this little trip down Fallout lane is that, even though when I've participated in similar discussions regarding that series, the fans of Fallout 1 generally admit that Fallout 2 was a larger, longer, and more "advanced" game in terms of features and whatnot, yet Fallout 1 seemed to have a "better" story in some way they couldn't always even put their finger on.

Fans of the second tend to have a similar view, where they can freely admit the merits of the first, yet they almost universally hold the second as ultimately superior, and from what I've seen of the fans who came in at Fallout 3 or New Vegas, the trend is much the same, though often with a much wider margin of opinion due again to the vast differences in feel and game style.

I guess when it comes right down to it, there's something to the old adage of "There's nothing like the first time."

-Kitty
I agree with this, even though the gameplay/graphics improvements were marginal in TSL, it makes a bit tougher to play a game with less force powers, worst graphics, crappy jedi robes and so forth.

As a KOTOR player you remember how you felt the first time, and say (this is an exageration btw) TSL is boring, nothing happens in the story and the gameplay is exactly the same... lazy job.
While if you haven't played KOTOR you don't have that reference.
mstr kenobi is offline   you may: quote & reply,