View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #397
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II

The End of Mr. Y, by Scarlett Thomas
IF YOU KNEW A BOOK WAS CURSED, WOULD YOU READ IT? When Ariel Manto uncovers a copy of The End of Mr Y in a second-hand bookshop, she can't believe her eyes. She's read about its author before, the outlandish Victorian scientist Thomas Lumas, and this is his most notorious, and rarest, book. It is also believed to hold a curse. Anyone who's ever read it, including Lumas, has disappeared without trace. With Mr Y under her arm, Ariel is thrust into an adventure of faith, physics, love, death, and everything in between.

I think I saw this book when it came out, and I've come close to buying it several times, if only for the title. In the end I got it on Kindle for iTouch, chiefly because it was there and it was relatively modern.

I can't say a great deal about this, since I only just started reading it. It's a fairly lengthy book, and I'm very close to the beginning. So far it's quite amusing, but not a lot has happened to date. Although I was amused that the book begins with a building sinking into the ground. It's well-written so far.

The Young Visiters by Daisy Ashford
Mr Salteena and Ethel Monticue go up to town, where he becomes a Gentleman and she gets married. And people change their clothes a lot.

A brief novel by a nine-year-old girl, this book is brilliant if nothing else because it's so utterly childish. The spelling is off, the descriptions repetitive (most things are either costly or "sumpshous"), and the characters, like the book, belong to a world with an attention span of about 30 seconds. It's also very, very funny.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is online now   you may: quote & reply,